add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Final Opinions / Criticism

JonathanCamarena
  • 72 months ago

So, I decided to organize my self a PC for gaming, and this will be my first time ever. I wanted to try and keep it around or below $1500, and with the help of some others, I have come up with this build. I would like to run games such as Battlefield 4, Titanfall, and other similar games on atleast Mid - High settings at a high FPS, and other games like Minecraft on Max settings at a high FPS. Any sort of opinions or recommendations would be much appreciated, to help me better my build for such games. So, if you have this time, please feel free to leave all your opinions of this build below. Thank you!

Here is the parts list - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/v48bCJ

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

Your build's really solid. I like how you put your money toward the graphics card instead of overclocking the CPU. You may be able to buy an even better graphics card, like an r9 290x, by trimming other components:

1) Drop the liquid CPU cooler, you can always buy it later if you decide the stock one cooler too loud. -$62

2) 1 TB HDD + 256 GB SSD is enough for gaming/general use unless you have lots of static media files. -$50

3) I would also put money toward the graphics card before putting it toward a mechanical keyboard. -$70

If you get a better card, you'll also need a bigger power supply. A 750W one made by a good manufacturer such as SeaSonic will be fine.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Can I get a link to the video card you recommended?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

The R9-290X. I have this one by XFX and it's cool and quiet. AMD dropped prices a month or so ago, which is why it's so much cheaper than the 780Ti even though they're cross-brand equivalents.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

This means I'll have to upgrade to a 750 W PSU, correct? I believe so. And do I also have to make sure it's compatible with that, and not other things?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, definitely get a 750W PSU. I'd go with the SeaSonic SSR-750RM.

Any new PSU* will be compatible but you can check the plugs just to be sure. All motherboards use the same connectors and graphics cards use one or two six pin or eight pin connectors. The r9 290X I posted has one eight pin and one six pin.

* Never buy a used PSU since they lose output with use.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8X2WBm

So does this seem better? I got rid of the CPU cooler, upgraded the video card and PSU, and changed the keyboard to a MUCH less expensive one.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed, good solid build in general.

I think Jane's point about the cooler is a good one. If you're not overclocking (and you don't have the CPU for it) then you're doing it for the quietz ... and the regular cooler might be good enough to start.

$170 for a keyboard???? Maybe it's just me, but I would never, EVER.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I'm going to drop the keyboard. It does sees a little over the top :P

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

http://www.amazon.com/Storm-QuickFire-Rapid-Tenkeyless-Mechanical/dp/B0068INSUM/?&tag=bom_tomsguide-20

I think I'll go with this instead. :) Does it still seem over the top? It's - $90

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

My $15 Logitech is fine. If you think you may like mechanical keyboards but haven't used one very much, it's probably not worth it.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Could you be more specific on the keyboard? I'd like to check it out.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Logitech K120

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I would recommend these 2 keyboards to you to help save some cash. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/logitech-keyboard-920003371
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-keyboard-jqd00001

If you must have a mechanical one, I've heard good things about the quickfire you chose.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $84.98 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $72.98 @ OutletPC
Storage PNY XLR8 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $99.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $104.99 @ Newegg
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card $469.99 @ NCIX US
Case Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $39.98 @ OutletPC
Power Supply Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Monitor Acer G246HLAbd 60Hz 24.0" Monitor $129.99 @ Amazon
Other
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1399.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-13 22:55 EDT-0400
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube