add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build OS advice

Spider13
  • 72 months ago

I just put my first computer build together today and need to figure out what to do about the OS. I'm gambling on a possibility that I may be able to get windows from my college this fall when it starts up so unit then my buddy that I built it with helped me put unbuntu on it but we didn't have time to set it up. Currently the Ethernet does not work and I'm sure I'll find more I need to fix. Also I want to be able to utilize my mobo features but don't think I can on Linux. Would it be a good idea to install the windows 7 iso and use that during the 30 day grace period? If I do that would it be a good idea(as in what should I do?) to wipe the ssd to install windows (I know I could dual boot some how but I feel like it would be a hassle for a beginner like me)?

Here is my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Spider13/saved/fbFXsY

edit thanks for all the input and advice all my problems have been resolved as of now! And I will be adding two 1tb drives to run raid with once my buddy moves his os off one.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point
  • If your buddy is familiar with Linux, Intel I218V drivers and utilities for Linux listed at Intel, click HERE. With that said, I would expect the current release of Ubuntu to support that network chip automatically.
  • If your buddy is unfamiliar with the process: How do I install a .tar.gz (or .tar.bz2) file?
  • For Windows 7, you can extend the trial period up to 120 days, click HERE
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

He knows his way around Linux but we did the build late the other night and he goes out of town during the week for his job so we wouldn't be able to do anything together until next weekend. I just looked at the unbuntu original file I downloaded and it had AMD in it's name so maybe we installed the wrong one so either way I'll need to redo this. Ive been trying all day to install windows 7 off a USB but the computer won't boot from it. Getting annoyed. Do I need to wipe the ssd before installing a new os? If so how? And any ideas why the USB isn't working?

If there is no way to get the USB to work in my situation I suppose I could find it in my budget to buy a optical drive...

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

...it had AMD in it's name ...

The current 64-bit release is named ubuntu-14.04-desktop-amd64

...Do I need to wipe the ssd before installing a new os?...

No, format option should be available during the installation process with just about every current operating sytem.

...any ideas why the USB isn't working?

Unable to comment since there are numerous methods to create a bootable Windows 7 USB flash drive. e.g. I use the PowerISO software but there are others such as Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool, Rufus, Easy2Boot...

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thanks for the information. I guess unbuntu may just not be compatible yet with the board until the drivers are manually installed. That's what I was generally seeing that I could just install over it. Just wanted to be sure. Ok I tried the windows 7 USB/DVD multiple times and multiple versions with no luck and I had just prepared one with Rufus before having to go so I'll try using it today. When I tried booting from the USB it would briefly black screen and then return to bios.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I tried the windows 7 USB/DVD multiple times and multiple versions with no luck...

You can test the DVD media in another verified working system to eliminate media as source of problem.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I just tried Rufus and one other same results which is nothing. Is there a possibility that it won't work with a USB 3.0 flash drive/ USB 3.0 ports?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows 7 does not natively support USB 3.0. Keep in mind when Win7 was released and when USB 3.0 was released.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

So I was able get it on by switching to an old USB stick of mine. But I still don't have internet...

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. try using LiLi USB Creator to install the ISO to the drive. http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

2. Check to ensure that your BIOS is set to check for bootable images on the USB drive BEFORE it comes to the Windows HDD in the boot order on the BIOS. It may also be necessary to disable secureboot in the BIOS if you have a UEFI bios.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

install mac. lol hackintosh

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Hah maybe someday but for now I need to get this thing going on the OS it is made to work on.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

if you feel comfortable about your ability to dual boot go for it. as for an os i would recommend windows 8. windows 8.1 is alot of work to setup and there really is no difference between the two except for three new apps. also if this is a gaming/college work station you need a lot more storage

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

I know Asus provides non-windows drivers on their website did you look for them?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

i just tried looking and couldnt find anything regarding linux drivers for the z97-A

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe I'm mistaken. Sorry. Yeah you could go with the 30-day trial. Just unplug the other drives when installing windows as sometimes it installs files on multiple drives.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem there's a pretty good chance I saw it but didn't know what I was looking at.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube