add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New Steam Machine for $500?

henrya
  • 72 months ago

I need a new computer, and I have a budget of about $500. I plan on using it to run games on my T.V, steam-machine style, although I will be using Windows 7 to run non-steam games. I mostly play LoL, and some other light games. Any help appreciated!

CURRENT VERSION: (V. 3) http://pcpartpicker.com/user/henrya/saved/GYZFf7 ($30 overbudget)

OLD VERSION: (V. 2) http://pcpartpicker.com/user/henrya/saved/CwndnQ

EDIT: I have raised my budget to $550.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

If you were willing to spend a little more, you could make a very high performance system the size of a console: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DwLFK8 This is a little pricier, but it has a slightly better video card and more storage, as well as being in a compact case that will look nice by a TV.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm in the process of updating my parts list after seeing your recommendation; some of the parts seem a little bit pricey but others make sense. I'll probably expand my budget a bit after seeing this.

Thanks a lot!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, after raising budget to $550, the above is what I came up with. I decided to go with a GTX 750ti as opposed to a 750, and cut costs on the motherboard, case, etc.

Thanks again!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Good to hear. I would go with an R7 265 instead of a 750 ti, as they are the same price, and the 265 performs better. The 265 does need one six-pin power cable, though.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Normally I'd agree with you, but this is a steam machine. I've heard that the 265 is noisy and sucks power. Do you know if that's true?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

It isn't that noisy if you get one with a decent cooler, and even if you get one with a crappy reference cooler, it runs fairly cool, so noise isn't an issue.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

The 1gb 750 single fan is better than the 2gb 750ti dual fan? that's a pretty bold statement. Care to share some proof?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Not saying it's better, just saying it's more compact, so it will be less of an eyesore.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah I think you phrased your comment wrong "but it has a slightly better video card". Fair enough lol.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

OOPS. You're right lol. I wrote that last night when I was tired.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

The build with the 750ti 2gb dual fan is the most recent version. When he posted his comment the build had an R7 260x. Jacob suggested the 750 over the R7, and I decided to spend extra on the 750ti. My bad for the confusion :)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Is this an actual steam machine which will be running steamOS when it is released? If so save yourself $100 and just install linux. Spend the extra cash on a better video card or an SSD.

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

No, I plan to use Windows as opposed to SteamOS since some third-party games can't download on Linux or Steam. Thanks for the advice!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ndemon/saved/ See what builds I have (they are really good)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, this build would obviously not run high-end games as well as some of the other builds posted here, but it should definitely run LoL and similar light games at max settings without an issue. It's got a couple bonuses over the other builds here too:

• costs your original budget
  • uses less power and generates less heat; important to consider when installed in a cramped media center
  • boots faster
  • comes with integrated wireless and bluetooth connectivity; useful for controlling the PC from your couch.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD 5350 2.05Ghz Quad-Core Processor $57.02 @ Micro Center
Motherboard MSI AM1I Mini ITX AM1 Motherboard $35.99 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $39.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive $80.24 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GT 740 2GB Superclocked Video Card $89.99 @ Amazon
Case Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case $29.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $34.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer $14.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.99 @ NCIX US
Wireless Network Adapter Intel 7260HMW 802.11n Mini-PCI-Express Wi-Fi Adapter $24.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $498.18
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-16 11:33 EDT-0400
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm going to stick to the higher budget, but I do like the smaller case and mITX rather than mATX format. I would have used this format originally, but the cheapest ITX mobo with an FM2 socket is 80 bucks. I want to use the Athlon 760, so ITX wont work. I'll price out an Intel build to see if i can make it work, I'll get back to you soon.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor $84.74 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock FM2A78M-ITX+ Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard $90.38 @ Newegg
Memory Patriot Viper 3 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $35.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital RE2 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.00 @ Amazon
Video Card PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card $129.99 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case $29.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $34.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer $14.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.99 @ NCIX US
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $556.06
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-16 14:29 EDT-0400
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow! Thanks for the new list! The 7870 just went up to $190, so with a 750ti in still $30 over budget, but I'll spring for the mITX build. Thanks again!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

the xpg v2.0 is way cheaper

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube