add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First attempt at building a gaming rig, advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

heilsus
  • 72 months ago

This is going to be my first attempt at building a gaming rig (well, not exclusively for gaming, but mostly), my laptop's not quite cutting it anymore and the heat/noise has been steadily getting worse. So any advice/opinions are welcome! My budget's around $1500 dollars, a bit more wouldn't really matter to me.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $259.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $89.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $159.98 @ OutletPC
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $84.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $199.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.92 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card $479.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case $99.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $84.99 @ NCIX US
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1512.83

Edit-I upgraded my gpu as advised, how's the build looking now?

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

You may want to switch to an i5-4690 or 4570 for your CPU, unless youre overclocking you wont see enough of a difference. You likely also wont need the liquid cooler, and the money you save could go to a better graphics card like anything with the R9 280X 3gb, which for gaming will make the difference over the processor.

If price is a concern check out a Crucial M500 series SSD, 240gb. Its ~50 dollars cheaper if memory serves.

Remember if you make those changes to CPU and GPU it may reduce or increase the wattage used, so make sure to re-evaluate your PSU

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm probably going to take a stab at overclocking, which was the primary reason why I chose the i7 4770k. If I overclock, I'll need the liquid cooler right?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

You'll need an aftermarket cooler if you're overclocking, yes.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Basically, if you dont over clock a lot or to much you still wont need it, you will if you wanted to do it frequently. But there wont be a point to overclocking with the current build, as the 'weakpoint' is that your CPU is much stronger than your GPU, and gaming ( which of course relies more on the GPU than anything else)wont use the CPU to its full potential due to the limit on your GPU.

In my opinion, you'll need to either go for a smaller CPU, or upgrade to a stronger GPU. Likely for an i7, something with a 4gb cache.

If you havent already check out www.reddit.com/r/buildapc , they have a big community and will answer any questions your have.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube