add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Blackfyre, House Targaryen(red and black) themed gaming rig.

thomassylux
  • 72 months ago

So I got a part time Job as graphics designer and this is what I'm spoiling myself to. The rig is gonna be used mainly for graphics design and gaming, I'm on a tight budget so it really can't go higher than around $1100 with tax. The color scheme is red and black, the colors of house Targaryen from ASOIF. I might add custom sleeved cables and some slowly pulsing LEDs or CC lights in the future, but the cables are pricey and I can't afford them right now. Suggestion/comments/opinions are welcome.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $233.98 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $33.98 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $139.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory $74.99 @ Newegg
Storage Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $59.99 @ Micro Center
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card $319.99 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT H440 (Red/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $119.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $64.99 @ Newegg
Monitor Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan $19.43 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan $19.43 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1100.18
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-14 19:50 EDT-0400

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

Looks pretty solid. I noticed the SSD you have choosen has the microcenter price. If it is within driving distance I would suggest buying your cpu there. It'll save you a good bit. Also, I have no personal experience with it, but I have heard that particular line of SSDs has some issues. I would reccommend a Crucial M500 instead, only $15 or so more expensive. You could even off set the price difference by swapping out the fans with something a little cheaper like the Scythe Slipstream, if you wanted.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I'll definitely look into getting cheaper fans and a better ssd, I was originally planning to save money and not get an ssd but a bad ssd is probably gonna give me more headaches so I might as well get a good one.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Waiting on the ssd is also an option. With the money saved you could step up to a i7 if you wanted. I don't know what applications you'll be running with your graphics design work but with video editing and photo editing the hyperthreaded i7's perform better. I don't know if it would be worth leaving out the ssd. Maybe someone with some experience with graphic design can chime in on that.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I mainly opted in on adding the SSD to install Illustrator, photoshop and windows there, it loads A LOT faster especially if all the resource files are saved in the SSD. I think an i7 would help more in editing and rendering video (which I don't do).

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Well sounds like the ssd would be the way to go then. Sounds like you you might have several things going on it have you considered a 240gb one. Crucial sells their 240gb m500 for like $110-ish. You want to keep some extra space on the ssd free. They perform better that way as opposed to full.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube