add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New WS for my Dad's work

SuperCookie
  • 72 months ago

Hey guy's I'm going to building 5-7 computers for my dad's work. They use cpu intensive programs. Right now there using Core 2 Duos and Core 2 quads. They have been saying that there phones are faster than there computers. Now my Dad's boss wants me to build them new computers. This is what i have planed for them.

My budget was about $950. And there IT guys are installing Microsoft office for $100 per computer so my parts budget is really around $850-$860. I aslo might be overclocking.

P.S. I'm 14

Here's an updated list http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tRkqBm . It still have the I7 because of high stock speed

Also I need something that has two VGA outs because my dad's boss bought monsters with only VGA as a video input. So that's why I have a biostar board because it has a VGA out and a dvi-I out which means it can be converted to a VGA out

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

What type of cpu intense apps? Will they do graphics work? Or is a basic video output ok?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

They don't do graphics work intel graphics is fine. They use ultra tax,quickbooks and a bunch of other programs running at the same time so hyper threading will help keep things under control.

• 72 months ago
  • 3 points

Honestly for just running a bunch of single-threaded applications like that, that aren't doing calculations when it's not being interacted with, is not really a use case for hyperthreading. They would probably think an i5-4670 was incredibly fast, particularly if you pair it with an SSD as you are. If you can save them enough on the builds, you might be able to convince them to just build a couple stations every year starting in 3 years. It's usually best for a workplace to have a timely, rolling workstation replacement plan going rather than a "let everything get super old so all the employees get angry with their computers" policy.

Given the sort of use case you've laid out, I'd spend a bit more for a quiet case which is nice to have in an office. I'd consider if that SSD is large enough (get a list of all their major software, and find out how large the installs are). I'd buy the i5, find a less expensive motherboard, and use a Hyper 212 EVO rather than water cooling. I'd also specifically NOT overclock. You might be able to spend a few bucks less to not get the K version of the CPU as such, depending on where you get it.

You should remove Windows from your build, or set its price to the $100 they get it for. So I'd do something like this: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $218.97 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $66.50 @ Newegg
Memory Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $134.99 @ Amazon
Case Corsair 330R ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $24.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer $14.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $645.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-15 01:24 EDT-0400

And if you're sure that 120GB is enough storage for their programs for the reasonable lifetime of these PCs... PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $66.50 @ Newegg
Memory Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $84.98 @ OutletPC
Case Corsair 330R ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $24.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $595.39
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-15 01:28 EDT-0400

I trust that with a budget of 6*$850=$5100 they would appreciate it being 6x$600=$3600

Another thing you could do that would win you heavy favor with the employees would be to get them some creature comforts along with their new PCS, for example get them all a wireless keyboard/mouse combo with their new PCs, to clean up their desks and give them a bit more workspace. Something like http://www.meritline.com/logitech-mk520-wireless-keyboard-mouse-combo---p-53519.aspx

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

They just got new monitors, keyboards, and mice so they don't want to buy new one. In the future more and more programs are going to be multi-threaded so the i7 will be there to help in the future with those programs

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ha, you must have posted this while I was posting the suggested build. Sub a Xeon (use the versions with graphics they end in a 5) or i7 if you please.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

"more and more programs are going to be multi-threaded"

A business workplace computer lifetime is perhaps 5 years, and they have been saying that thing about multithreading for years. Has it happened? Well sure, in the "big data" kind of applications. For general user applications like you've mentioned? Nah. I personally think they are either lying or taking an overly optimistic viewpoint (take your pick). Therefore IMO 4 cores is probably enough multithreading capability for the type of things they do, as far as you've described, for the typical life of a computer on a desk at a business. A good business, or a smart consumer, doesn't spend money based on a "maybe", or on imaginary things.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

You probably don't want to be doing over clocking on production systems. You want longevity.

I'd ask the it guys if they have a volume license for Windows already. You could save the cash there if they do... And I wouldnt mess with liquid coolers also because they are production systems. If one fails at home, that's one thing, but one failing at work would be a real pain for them to deal with... Just grab some basic air coolers like the Evo.

With the cash you save, you can probably get actual workstation systems with xeon cpus and ecc ram. Again though, I don't know what these are for, but reliability and performance at cpu tasks is what I'm recommending based on... Try using some bare bone workstations from newegg and adding ram, cpu, and hdd. You may be within budget.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

By overclock, I mean like going from 4ghz to 4.2ghz. But it's there choice not mine but think he'll be on board with it.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Also I am going to test them for at least 48hrs to make sure everything is running properly

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

This could be an option for you focused on durability, quiet and security:

CPU: An i5 should do nicely for the tasks listed. Choose this one to avoid a hassle with the Haswell refresh version possibly needing a BIOS update to play well with the MB. .1 MHZ = basically not noticeable.

Cooler: Quiet and keeps things cool while being durable.

MB: From ASUS TUF series, 5 year warr. Appropriate headers for case, fans.

RAM: When using integrated graphics, Anandtech tests recommend nothing slower than 1866 on Haswell. Pro version is the more durable series.

SSD: Choose Intel for its Hardware encryption capabilities (which may be required if storing clients data) and 5 year warr.

Case: mATX, industrial style with 3 front USB ports (1 3.0 and 2 2.0)

PSU: Durable from a well respected company. Gold rated for possible energy savings and to reach the Gold std = better build components.

DVD drive: may be needed for back-ups, data transfers and Installing Windows. (I did notice you said the IT guys are installing MS OFFICE not the OS.)

Optional fans: To keep things quiet, reliable and play well with the Thermal features of the MB (PWM, 4 pin) The F12 goes in the front position, 12a in the rear.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler $39.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus VANGUARD B85 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $99.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $84.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Intel 530 Series 180GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $129.99 @ Amazon
Case Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $44.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply SeaSonic 360W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply $61.99 @ Mwave
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $139.98 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan $14.99 @ NCIX US
Case Fan Noctua NF-S12A PWM 120mm Fan $14.99 @ NCIX US
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $865.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-15 09:16 EDT-0400

Words of wisdom for you young Padawan:

"There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that person's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money – that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot – it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_law_of_business_balance

EDIT: i7 version, add fans and cooler back if you want:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $299.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus VANGUARD B85 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $99.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $84.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Intel 530 Series 180GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $129.99 @ Amazon
Case Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $44.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply SeaSonic 360W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply $61.99 @ Mwave
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $139.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $876.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-15 09:41 EDT-0400
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm going a z97 board so i don't have to do a bios update and the i7-4790k has a clock speed of 4.0ghz while the i7-4770 has a clock speed of 3.4ghz

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes I get that. The difference in clock speeds tho will make a very small difference in the tasks that have been listed. To much compromising in other areas of the build for clock speed IMO. If bench-marking, gaming or rendering video there might be a case for it but not in this usage scenario.

Ultimately you call. Best of luck on your journey!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

That won't work because i need 2 VGA outs or a VGA and a dvi-I.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Asus for some reason calls the VGA output RGB.

Anyway, Enjoy!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, that's the longest platitude I've ever seen.

Good catch on Office vs. OS. Bit of a bad miss there I suppose.

A few bad choices, and a few neither-here-nor-theres, but sort of on the right track. For example, there's no encrypting storage needed, because these machines aren't set up for storage -- the data is stored on a server which is why they don't have any HDDs for storage. Then again, OP thinks quickbooks and ultra tax are difficult applications, so who knows what he really is going to want. shrug I'm out.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I just noticed that you have the Microcenter price listed for the i7. If you have one close and are walking in to pick up the processor, you may be able to also get a discount on the MB ($40 at this time) of your choice as long as it is one they have in-stock.

That price is for "1 per household" so may want to be aware of that.

Maybe you are doing price matching somewhere?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Here's an updated list http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hJkqBm I'm get the mobo from microcenter and they have a $40 off if u purchase a i7-4790k and a compatible mobo

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

don't waste 20 dollars on video card when you have APU, seriously that card is worse than the one on my 4 years old laptop.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

They only have VGA port monitors and the mobo have 1 VGA and one Dvi-d which doesn't convert to VGA so that's why the 20 dollar video card and there not do anything gpu intensive.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube