add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Feedback on a ~$1000 build

KOTH_YTP
  • 72 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $199.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z87 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $239.29 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $76.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $104.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Dual-X Video Card $289.99 @ Newegg
Case Xigmatek Recon ATX Mid Tower Case $37.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $34.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) $94.99 @ Best Buy
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1064.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-15 23:17 EDT-0400

I plan to use this for gaming and coding. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a real expensive mobo. Everything else looks pretty balanced.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! Any suggestions on a cheaper, yet good, mobo?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Motherboards are more about features than performance. If you aren't planning on running multiple graphics cards, this one should be fine. I typically choose cheaper mobos than a lot of people on here, maybe others might have good reasons to spend more.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

id say the asus sabertooth is probably overkill for what you are getting. also the next generation z97 motherboards are out right now so if you go with like a high end asus or msi motherboard you would not only be saving money on it that you could put towards other parts like say a better graphics card (not that the 280x is a bad card by any means) but you would be a lot closer to future proofing your computer and staying in sync with the chipset should you want to upgrade. Also maybe you could put the money saved into a gold certified psu. it will be worth it in the long run. otherwise its a pretty solid build as long as you arent planning to overclock your cpu.

-Edit- I have the z87 version of this board. its cheaper than the sabertooth and it runs really well in my experience, it even provides an OC genie for those not familiar with manual overclocking http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97g45gaming

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you recommend a psu for me?

I found this one: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-rm550

Also, is a fully modular psu worth it?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Fully modular psu's are worth it to some people it depends on whether you are willing to spend the money on it. in my opinion and a LOT of other people's, YES they are completely worth it they make everything easier inside your case.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

here is one for about the same price. its gold certified completely modular and 750 watt, which will allow you to expand later on in your pc's life say down the road your system isnt quite enough you add another graphics card and bam you already have enough output to do it. :)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for all of the help!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

hakunamatata :D

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

From what I can see:

• Your mobo is really expensive compared to your budget.
  • Unlocked mobo, locked CPU.
  • Your mobo, although very good, is not current gen and might have trouble with your processor if the drivers aren't updated.
  • Not sure if you need all that storage, maybe you can downgrade to 2tb/1tb and spend that money elsewhere like on a SSD.
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Go for the Asus Z97-A, if anything. Seems to be a fairly reliable motherboard and it's nearly $100 cheaper than the one you have up there. Alternatively, you could go for an H97 model, since you won't be overclocking. Also, Seagates have an incredible failure rate, so if you're not dead set on needing 3TB, you could get a 1TB WD Caviar Blue for $56 (ignore this if you definitely need that amount of space, but remember, you get what you pay for).

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

If I were u I would get a cheaper mono like the Msi gaming 5 or something

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube