add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First time builder, help

Bodehead
  • 72 months ago

I am looking to build a decent gaming pc between $700-900 and was wondering if what i put together was any good. Could love suggestions to lower price, and overall I would love advice. this is what I have so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xdQLwP

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

You can't overclock that cpu, no "k" suffix, so you need to spend a little more to get one of those or you can drop the cooler and step down from a z series mobo

Kingston v300 have apparently switched to some cheaper nand recently which is causing issues, I know you said you're trying to go down in price but you can double the size for $11 with a pny xlr8 ssd. Do you have a hdd to add in? Even 120gig will get used up quick with windows & a few games.

The latency on that corsair ram is kinda high, quicker is available for cheaper, & 2 sticks mean you get dual channel access to improve performance even more (could just be a benchmark epeen tho)

Corsair don't make their own psus & they use a bunch of different firms so quality level can vary, and honestly I just can't bring myself to the concept of spending $800+ on some killer electronics then cheaping out on the part that supplies power too all the other components... imo it's the one area you should definitely overspend on & to me that means seasonic (brand or oem/rebrand) or go home! :D

You get 4 fans already with that case so the extra's prolly unnecessary

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-3330 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $183.98 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $123.98 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Storage PNY XLR8 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $59.00 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card $149.99 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case $100.98 @ Best Buy
Power Supply SeaSonic 400W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $45.98 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $831.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-16 14:27 EDT-0400

Now having said all that & made those changes, I do think you need to reconfigure your cpu/gpu & maybe case a little, 750ti is kinda low level gaming card & the cpu way outclasses it, and imo given your budget you're prolly spending a little too much on your case too.

These sites/articles might give you some alternatives -

If you wanna stick with intel I'd prolly go for something like this (tho maybe it's to gpu heavy... I'm not a pc gamer tbh with you!) -

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor $114.49 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus H87M-E Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $97.98 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Storage PNY XLR8 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $59.00 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.92 @ Amazon
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 280 3GB TurboDuo Video Card $199.99 @ Newegg
Case Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $44.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $99.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $794.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-16 14:43 EDT-0400

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube