add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Advice for a novice on building a gaming PC.

automatica
  • 72 months ago

I tried my best to create an awesome gaming PC that fits within my budget. I'm completely new to this, so a lot of these parts are foreign to me. I've tried my best to apply the knowledge I've gained from reading the forums when creating the PC, but I'm left wondering if all these parts are compatible. I was hoping I could get some advice on whether or not I should swap out parts or add more.

Here is the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/automatica/saved/PJqhP6

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Everything looks good, two things I would change. Downgrade ram to 8gb, gaming only needs 8gb, anything more and it is wasted money. Change your wifi adapter to a USB, they are generally cheaper and don't take up room inside your case.

Something like this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-wireless-network-card-usbn13

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I was debating the 16gb of RAM myself, so it's good know I can cut it.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Get an aftermarket cooler if you're overclocking. (judging by the unlocked CPU and Z87 motherboard)

Other than that, everything else looks solid.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube