add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I think it's time. Last suggestions before I order

Blarghlar
  • 72 months ago

After a couple of weeks of reading/research I've finally settled down on what I think is a decent build that also looks alright. I do plan on spending an bit on future proofing and that might be why some pieces are a bit more expensive. I do plan on overclocking, and I do plan on spending some more money on upgrading along the next year or two (probably getting a better video card whenever the next gen rolls around).

Points of importance:

• 1200-1300 Canadian $ budget counting OS, have all needed peripherals.

• Pretty much a full gaming build with some exceptions (Browsing, maybe some streaming down the line).

• I wanted a fully modular PSU as I feel that will be the easiest to work with and will help me with airflow. The XFX 750W wasn't too far off from the EVGA 650W so I didn't mind taking the jump. Feel free to tell me if this is too much of a waste of money.

• Trying to keep a color theme out of pure vanity, if I'm skipping on huge deals/ performance due to this please tell me lol.

• The motherboard is what has given me the most trouble. I've finally settled down on the MSI gaming 5 since the price point didn't seem too much higher than the gaming 3. If you feel the difference in performance/features isn't worth the difference I'd be glad to hear your opinions about this as well.

• Haven't added an SSD to bring down initial cost but do plan on getting one when a decent sale comes by for something reliable in the 120gb~ range.

• Case is already purchased. (Zalman ms800 plus ((75$))

So here it is, any opinions welcome and as I said I'll probably start ordering some parts soon. Thanks in advance :)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $269.99 @ Memory Express
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $32.50 @ DirectCanada
Motherboard MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $165.96 @ DirectCanada
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $89.98 @ Newegg Canada
Storage *Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.99 @ DirectCanada
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card $339.99 @ Memory Express
Power Supply XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $104.99 @ NCIX
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $99.99 @ NCIX
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1163.39
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-17 00:24 EDT-0400

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I think it looks great. I'm interested to hear if there is any advice on the mobo.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Not sure what kind of prices you're looking for in an SSD, but the 120/250GB Samsung 840 EVO's are very hard to beat. Very high performance, excellent reliability, and quite cheap. I'd recommend going ahead and just getting yourself one now. Put your OS on it and your most used games/programs. That will absolutely be one of the biggest jumps in performance you can get for money invested. Especially noticeable in game loading screens and start up times, as well as boot times.

I recommend Asus motherboards. Any of them. MSI is still recovering from a few years of not-so-great quality issues with their boards.

Everything else is fabulous. Excellent choices.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Save for Windows 8. Ick. But that's just my preference. If you know what you're getting, that's just fine.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

The 840 EVO is what i'm looking at for an SSD, but while I understand how nice it is having one I think I can wait a little before getting one. I doubt I'll delay it for more than a month after getting the rig up and running.

As for the OS, I'm not particularly used to it yet but I don't mind trying new things out and I've heard there's ways to set it up to be more "traditional". I do like the fact that it's faster and will probably get better support though, so I guess I'll give it a try.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Bump, also any ideas on decent 120mm fans for the case? It's my first build and I have no idea what fans are decent >< . Would like 1 red LED one to replace the blue one in the case.

Asides that, any other thoughts about the rig? No compatibility issues?

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube