add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Mind spinning, FX8350 build advice welcome.

kohleran
  • 72 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kohleran/saved/YGNv6h

This will be my first build. And I've researched till I'm spinning. I want something that does well out of the box. I have never overclocked, but will probably want to try my hand with it either for fun, or as the machine ages to keep up with the current games. Mostly a Gaming PC. Budget is: I don't want to feel guilty. If something is good quality/right price I don't mind spending for it (see the MBoard below), but I want to be frugile as I can (my debate on Video Card). Want to try to be as close to $1000-$1200 range without regretting I didn't spend an extra $100 latter ($1200, if i had spent $1300 I'd be happy now, instead of kicking myself). In other words as cheap as I can so I don't feel guilty yet still get the best.

Set on: CPU: They just added $10 to this CPU which sucks. Was $169. MB: I want the backbone to be solid and Sabertooth, although $50 more than some competition, has enough advantages. SSD: I can live without this, since I don't know what I am missing. I can live without.

Advice on: VidCard: I had ASUS R9 280X. Not sure if I'm going a little overboard. So advice. PSupply: Corsair CX750M <-- think this is good at right price. Just need some confirmation. Case: Haf X, Corsair Carbide 400R, Haf912, CM Storm Enforcer. This is going to be real tough. I really love the HAF X look and the reviews of it, but it is kinda big and expensive. especially when I see a good reviewed case in the 400R that looks good for $90 less. Then I see some decently reviewed cases for Roswil Challenger for under $50. This looks like a place you could really save money, still get something good... but this IS what you will be looking at for years. Tough call.

Thanks for any advice. Regardless of what it is. I'll probably be getting a monitor 21"-24" too. Playing League of Legends, lots of legacy games (I am an 'ol guy), and such. I usually play stuff like FarCry3/Last of Us on console, and will probably be getting a couple of games like from a list something like: WatchDogs/Diablo3/Witcher3/Starcraft3/TormentKickstarter and/or something like the latest Crysis (or whatever) just to see how high I can push the most demanding game with my new system.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kohleran/saved/LYZFf7

I've made some changes. I think this looks better.

I went with the 8320 instead of the 8350 because the extra $30 will help and from what I read, it is close to the 8350 with just a little bitty bit of OClocking. So boom $30 saved from a stock 8350.

Plus it's said 8320 can Oclock nearly as high as the 8350 so basically saving regardless.

Still the case I'm not sure about and the monitor looks like that is going to be another headache to figure out what is different from each one besides just basic settings (response time/screen size/ etc).

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

So i was gonna start this off by saying "Why you getting 8350 when 8320 is just as good", when u corrected ur build. That aside i saved u quite a bit of cash and gave u same performing comp (The 280x is a tad faster then 770):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor $143.98 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard $74.99 @ Newegg
Memory Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $69.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.92 @ Amazon
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Dual-X Video Card $279.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply Corsair Builder 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $58.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $15.99 @ Micro Center
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Headphones Logitech G35 7.1 Channel Headset $82.99 @ Best Buy
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $899.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-17 06:50 EDT-0400

Also, if u live by a microcenter, they bundle the 8320 with any board and take $40 off the cost of the board. the 8320 looks to cost 129.99 over there. If you do get it from microcenter, i recommend this board: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-m5a97r20

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice. i don't live near a microcenter, but from what i have heard people say, it might be a good thing (else I'd spend all my money buying stuff).

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Here are my thoughts, for what they're worth... :D

You seemed pretty stuck on the mobo in your OP so I left that as is.

I would definitely get a ssd, I'm using mine at sata2 speeds, so approx half what you'd be getting, & I'm never gonna go back to having a hdd boot drive, the responsiveness (even at sata2 speeds) a ssd brings to everything about a pc improves the whole "user experience" a great deal imo, $60 for a 120gig drive is a total steal (paid $100 for my 60gig a couple of years ago).

Ripjaws x ram is cheaper than the sniper but has lower (better) latency than the kingston.

As per the tomshardware gpu guide the 270x has the best bang for your buck ratio (well... 265 is actually best ratio iirc, but that maybe a step too far down?), should easily cope with LoL & your legacy games but won't be quite be upto the 280x standards when you push it with Watch Dogs/etc etc - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-8.html

For a case I like the fractal design r4, but it's down to you at the end of the day, as you say it's what you're gonna be looking at for the next n number of years, just get whatever you like the look of the most, as long as it doesn't get awful reviews you should be ok.

Corsair don't make their own psus, I tend to stick with seasonic brand or oem/rebrand, they're basically top dog psu manufacturer, the gold efficiency will save you money on your utility bill & pay for it's own upgrade cost (vs bronze) in a year or 2, depending on use of course.

Sorry I don't know much about monitors, an IPS panel will give you better colour reproduction & viewing angles, tho their response time is a little slower but that shouldn't be a factor I think... comments on amazon/etc say they have no issues with it. Just hit the review sites I guess...? I like thewirecutter.com for a variety of tech review/best of's but there's literally hundreds of others - http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/dell-u2412m-monitor-best-monitor/

I saw this youtube video of LoL being played on a 8320/270x so you can see, hopefully, what you're getting into :D - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wkwt8n_iqQ

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor $143.98 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $169.49 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $77.99 @ Newegg
Storage PNY XLR8 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $59.00 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.98 @ OutletPC
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB TurboDuo Video Card $149.99 @ NCIX US
Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case $79.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $95.98 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Headphones Logitech G35 7.1 Channel Headset $87.99 @ Best Buy
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1056.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-17 16:32 EDT-0400
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kohleran/saved/Npc48d

changed to a larger PSU, for OC and Crossfire in the future. Other than that I used all of your suggestions and added a Monitor.

You really really helped refine my idea of the PC I wanted and I thank you.

I think this will be a really good system for me. I know that for maxing out some of the elite games, I may not with the VidCard. But for $150, I got a lot of value (plus 2 free games and a savings of $160 from the 280x). I think the 270x will handle things well, and I can always crossfire it down the road if needed.

I'm looking forward to putting it together and seeing how that SSD will dazzle me. The Case came today and should have all the parts by mid week of next.

I'll put it together, gorge myself on some LoL, then might do a few tests to post on here. I won't be overclocking for some time, so tests will be out of the box results.

Thanks for your help, advice, and seeing what I was going for and putting together some nice changes.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

My pleasure. Looks very nice... is it ok if I say that? lol

"Dazzled" ... yeah, ok I guess that's my fault :) boot time after bios/splash screen should be in the 10-15 second range I believe, hopefully that qualifies :D

Looking forward to seeing some pics :D

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube