add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New Build, Opinions wanted

ahyde0613
  • 72 months ago

As the title suggests, looking at building something new and would like some opinions on what I've come up with.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ahyde0613/saved/Gpvbt6

Edit:

6/19/14: Updated again. This is getting close to final build. I got sold on this new case so I guess the one I already have is going on craigslist lol.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

Is this for gaming? R7 250 is not good gaming card even combined with an APU.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a bad GPU +1

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

It is for gaming but I don't really play the over the top graphic intense FPS that most are into. i mostly play league of legends, some diablo 3 and a couple MMOs. In all honesty I probably don't even need the additional GPU to play those you think?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe you could switch to an i5 or FX-6300/FX-8320 and get a slightly better GPU like R7 265. You don't need a 100$ cooler unless your doing big overclocking. You could save there.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I really want to try out the new APUs so thats why I picked it. As far as the cooler, I will look at getting a cheaper one. What would be considered "big" over clocking?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

4.5ghz or more.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on what you're going to be using it for. You could save some money by getting a cheaper OS off of eBay, and If you're going to be using it for gaming I'd consider using a better GPU. The CPU you're using is overpriced compared to some of AMD's other models and unless you're going to be over-clocking, I'd just use the stock heat sink fan. With that SSD I'd also get a HDD, like the Seagate Barracuda to go with it (Personal Preference). And is 16gb of ram necessary?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Well that's why I'm on this board for :-). The reason I went with 16 was because I was planning on using the ramdisk feature and with only 8, if I use 6gb, then that only leaves me with 2gb left so I threw in another 8. If I am totally wrong in how that works by all means correct me.

I don't play a lot of the over the top graphics intense games and the APUs interest me and I was curious about focusing this build around them. I chose the R7 250 because its compatible with the integrated GPU on the CPU and would allow for crossfire between the two. I do plan on overclocking though and thats why i thought it was wise to invest in a good cooler and from what I heard, this is a good cooler.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, but still, why would you need more than 6gb of ram? I have a laptop that has 3.5 because it has 32bit windows, and it runs fine..

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

My last build I had 8gbs and I never had any problems and so i guess I just stuck with that. I know you should try and use even memory and since 6gbs of the 8 would be used with ramdisk,I just doubled up.

If you guys don't think thats needed, let me know.

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

For that price why not something like this?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $239.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard *MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $98.99 @ Newegg
Memory *Avexir Core series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $68.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $106.81 @ NCIX US
Video Card *XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card $264.99 @ NCIX US
Case Cooler Master HAF XB EVO ATX Desktop Case $84.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply *EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $76.66 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1031.40
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-17 15:17 EDT-0400
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

great build for the value. but a Haf X will even get him under 1000usd.

[comment deleted]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the effort you put into this. I was under the impression that the APU would perform better with 2400 ram vs 2133.The mobo i chose stated in the specs 2400 (oc) for ram so i thought it would work. Where was the fault in my logic? I don't know everything so help in that would be appreciated.

With the ram, I went with the AMD because i wanted to use thier ramdisk feature. is this something not worth the time/money?

[comment deleted]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh that is confusing but again I thank you for your time in explaining it. It seems that if the motherboard can't run it stable at 2400 then thats false advertising to state that it can? Since I wanted to try the APU (and i thank you with helping me get a good build with one rather than trying to convince me to change it)I wanted to get the best performance I can out of it as well.

Ramdisk allows you to take some of your physical memory (up to 6GB free)and convert it into a type of virtual drive. That's not a lot of space granted but I can put my main game on there and the load times are suppose to be faster than SSD. If I use the full 6gb though that only leaves me with 2gb left and so that's why I doubled up the ram. You can use ramdisk with other ram but amd will only let you use 4gb with the free software with other ram and that would not be enough to load my game on there.

Could you recommend a good Mini-itx Board for this APU? Just looking at options and I saw a case that I like but it was for mini-itx. Would you recommend mini-itx?

[comment deleted]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't thank you enough for your time in posting. What you are saying I think is true about the real world applications of the ram disk and in thinking it through, its probably a waste of money. I've been looking at the 350D and it has been growing on me considerably.

My last question is, As i am going to try and squeeze as much as I can out of this APU, over clocking ( although I've never done it before) is something I will be attempting. Will the H60 be sufficient in keeping this APU cool?

And my REAL last question, how would this system, in your opinion, deal with streaming via twitch as I'm gaming?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube