add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help picking A CPU cooler

QuantumCrafter

68 months ago

So I recently built my first computer and my CPU temps have been really high (85-90 under load, 55-60 idle) and I'm going to get a CPU cooler. But I don't know if I should go with the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 or the EVO 212. Any help would be nice.

Comments

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Look at Noctua "towers". I use NH-D14 on overclocked i7-4770k - idle 29 / load 58. Of course I know that my cooler costs alot, but that model really good. U can see for other cheaper models from Noctua, like NH-U9B. Consider that this coolers are big enough and may not fit your PC case, just check height before buy. Also check cooler compatability with your processor socket.

Think about airflows inside computer case, add some case coolers if u feel that airflow should be improved. It's obvious but need to mention - cool air goes down, heat goes up, it's physics (>.<) Good airflow can save up to 5 degrees or even more.

Don't forget to remove dust from inside in periodic manner, like once a mounth. Before start cleaning always turn of PC and put the PSU switcher to off state. You can use typical vacuum cleaner (with appropriate nozzle), but for heatsinks I recommend using cans with compressed air (u can buy them in PC parts stores, this mainly used for cleaning laptops). Dunno how many that procedures can save but I think cleaning is never superfluous.

I think this helps.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the tips! I would love to go with a Noctua cooler but unfortunately I am currently broke, hence the cheaper coolers. Both the TX3 and the EVO would fit in my case(NZXT Source 210) and both are compatible with my CPU(AMD Athlon X4 760K)

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

If you go for cheaper coolers I strongly recommend to create good ventilation for your case. You can buy pair of 120's Bitfenix Spectre Pro fans and install them top-rear/rear, and move your stock 120 to top-front or maybe in front of HDDs.

In such big PC case I recommend you to do good cable managment. Move all cables that you can behind MOBO. Because it doesn't matter how many case fans you installed if cables hinders all airflow inside.

Here's example of how it should looks like - http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm109/Pittster83/DSC04970.jpg Mention that even HDD cables go behind MOBO, also that build have good front and top fans, and cpu cooler (lol, Noctua one) facing towards rear.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

I have already routed all my cables to the back of my case, I was thinking about getting some case fans but because of my lack of money I opted to go with a CPU cooler instead.

In the future I will probably get some nice case fans to increase the air flow.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

an 120 exhaust and 212 evo should be fine.im currently using the tx3 and get bout 11 degrees above room idle.will a 1ghz oc as well.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Are there any reasons why you think I should go with the EVO over the TX3?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube