add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Feedback Would Be Much Appreciated

PiecesOfPoop
  • 72 months ago

My first build! CPU and HDD will be supplied by external sources for free!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For $0.00
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z87-DS3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $96.78 @ OutletPC
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $79.99 @ Newegg
Storage Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card $249.99 @ Newegg
Case Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Raidmax 700W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $64.99 @ Mwave
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $14.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $566.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-18 00:16 EDT-0400

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Solid build. Nothing wrong with it. This build will give you a little more bang for the buck though.

Type Item Price
Motherboard MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $88.99 @ Newegg
Memory Avexir Core series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $68.99 @ Newegg
Storage Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Dual Superclocked ACX Video Card $309.99 @ Newegg
Case Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $592.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-18 01:33 EDT-0400
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I've never heard of that ram, and I'd like to stick with either g.skill or corsair really. I was looking at that gtx 770, but would 600 watts really be enough? I plan to add case fans and upgrade processors in the future. Also, does the z97 chipset support OC? Sorry if it's an obvious question...

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, in my opinion ram is one of the places you can get a no-name brand, but its really up to you. According to EVGA, 600 watts is the minimum PSU. And manufacturers typically add some cushion to that spec. Z97 is the new Z87. It supports overclocking.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

So if my cpu can't be overclocked why would I get a board that supports oc? Why change it in the first place is my actual question I suppose.

I reviewed your changes and made a few of my own.

Type Item Price
Motherboard MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $88.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $79.99 @ Newegg
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card $319.99 @ Amazon
Case Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $39.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $603.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-19 01:12 EDT-0400

Even though Evga has superior warranty. I always stick with MSI (higher clock speed better oc etc.) The thing I'm really uncomfortable with is that the gpu is taking up half the build budget. I'm running on a bit of a low budget. How long do you think a GTX 760 would last? I understand that the GTX 770 is an amazing card but I'd like to cut corners. The GTX 760 provides sufficient framerate for what I need... I don't feel like spending another hundred just for 20-30 more frames.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

That's your choice with the GPUs. With these particular cards, the EVGA has a higher clock speed though. I changed motherboards because i was trying to cut costs to give more money towards the gpu, went z97 because... why not? Its a more recent chipset. If you don't ever plan to overclock, you should try looking at the H87 or H97 chipsets. You should find the price premium a little less there. How long will the gpu last? I guess that really depends on your intended use. As a wild guess, I'd say maybe a year longer...?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm. Ok. I was talking to the comment below about upgrading and I'll probably stick with the z97. Will the gigabyte z87 will be sufficient if I were to upgrade to say an i5 4670k?

That msi card is the wrong one. For some reason pcpartpicker doesn't have the one on newegg...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127741

The clock speed is about 20 mhz higher. However, that's overclocked. Does that mean the gpu is overclocked or the cpu?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

What will it be used for?

Upon first glance, you may wish to downgrade to a H87/H97chipset motherboard, as the CPU selected is locked. (Not a K variant) There are only a few situations in which a Z87 chipset motherboard would be beneficial over a H87 with a locked processor. If you find, however, that you can't save much by going with a Z87 board, you might as well pay a little extra in case if you want to upgrade processors in the future. Z87 typically has all the bells and whistles: it usually has more expansion, more features, etc.

I personally would not trust that HDD, but I'm sure it will be fine. And hey, free is free. :) Make sure, as with any system, that you have a backup.

I also would not trust that PSU. Raidmax is typically not known for good power supplies. You also do not need that wattage, unless you plan to SLI in the future. Try to stick with Corsair, Seasonic, Etc.

I can't really judge if it's a balanced build until I know what the build will be used for.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I read things about z87 being used for oc just a few minutes ago :P

Primarily gaming, but practical uses as well.

But yes I'd like to stick with the z87 board if I can due to processor upgrades.

PSU wattage is primarily insurance, safety, and upgrading. I'd like to go 100-200 watts higher than recommended just for personal comfort. Plus, $70 for 700 watts? I think yes.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're buying it for upgradability I would go z97.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube