add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I would like some advice and proofing my potential Build

QuantumEssence
  • 72 months ago

Hello! I would like some help proofing and some advice on my parts list! (As everyone else) The main goal of this computer is gaming, but also some advanced and heavy simulations for and mathematical equations that I may need to run in my astrophysics classes. I would like to keep the NZXT Phantom case, but other than that I am pretty flexible on part choice. Other than that, the only thing I really NEED is a decent wireless card. That's it!

EDIT: Redid some of the parts. I was going to go with 1600 ram but then I found some snipers for the same price at 2400 and decided to go with that. I found a spare PCU that works and is a good brand so I don't need to worry about that. I also have some spare drives laying around my house that can hold me out until I can get others.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $340.29 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC14CS_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler $65.04 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $210.17 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $85.06 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $80.06 @ Best Buy
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card $299.25 @ SuperBiiz
Case NZXT Phantom 820 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case $200.16 @ Mwave
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1280.03
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-18 23:04 EDT-0400
Thank you for your time!

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I dont get it people keep saying the 8350 is the same as the 8320 then how come the 8350 is 4.0ghz at 125 watts and the 8320 is only 3.5Ghz.. also the 8350 will reach up to 4.8ghz stable while the 8320 is around 4.2.. how is it the same just over clocked.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I believe PhantomTaco was stating that you can get performance that is equal to the 8350 out of the 8320 by simply overclocking it, therefore saving you money.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok I can understand that and not harping on anyone just seeing a lot of people saying that it's the same processor just over clocked..and that to me is very misleading as the 8350 can reach higher clock speeds than the 8320.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I understand, I was confused when I first started looking into AMD instead of Intel.

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

It's really pretty simple, Intel does it as well except with a key difference. Both of them will take the same processor and set it to certain speeds, and the next step up will just be clocked faster. The difference is that all AMD procs are unlocked so assuming you pay for an aftermarket cooler, you can achieve the same performance by overclocking.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

but if this is the case, why can the 8350 be clocked higher then the 8320??

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

It isn't that it CAN be clocked, it's that it COMES clocked higher stock is all. Both CAN be clocked that high (from what I've seen from owners of 8320s), it's simply that they charge the premium as a "pre overclocked" fee.

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor $143.98 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler NZXT HAVIK 140 90.3 CFM CPU Cooler $59.98 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI 990FXA-GD80V2 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $164.08 @ Newegg
Memory Kingston Beast 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $79.99 @ Amazon
Storage PNY XLR8 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $59.00 @ Amazon
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card $381.98 @ Newegg
Case NZXT Phantom 820 (Grey) ATX Full Tower Case $209.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Silverstone Strider Plus 850W 80+ Silver Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $27.98 @ OutletPC
Case Fan NZXT FZ-200mm LED 103.0 CFM 200mm Fan $12.75 @ Newegg
Case Fan Scythe Slipstream 110.3 CFM 120mm Fan $10.97 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1224.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-18 15:32 EDT-0400
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Why the change in CPU and mobo? Was it just to put more money into the GPU?

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

The 8350 is just an overclocked 8320, you could get that overclock yourself and save money. The motherboard was to save money for a more powerful gpu.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you think I would be able to stream League of Legends and/or Warframe on twitch with the 8320?

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

overclock and it's fine, even stock shouldn't be a big problem.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry for another question, but why shouldn't I do the liquid cooling? the CPU Cooler you selected is more expensive.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

The absolute highest would be around 1400. Ideally I would like to get a new monitor too, but that's not necessary.

No, I do not NEED one as I can salvage 2 out of my old computer, but none of the rest of the the parts from that computer are salvageable.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not going to need that much storage on an SSD being that the only things that will be launched from it will be the OS, MatLab, LoL and possibly warframe, 120 should be more than enough I would imagine.

As for the CPU, why an i7 and not an i5? I see many people going for i5s and putting the money somewhere else into the build.

thank you for the advice on the monitor!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

It will mostly just be mathematical in terms of finding the roots of equations to the 6th power and such; things I don't want to do by hand!:P

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube