add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Memory, Memory Fan and Motherboard installation

reefrider
  • 72 months ago

I have an Asrock x79 Extreme 9 motherboard which has 8 DDR-3 slots, 4 on one side of the processor and 4 on the other side. The installation manual says I should install the memory in two slots on one side and two slots on the other side. As follows;

" Due to Intel CPU spec definition, please install the memory modules on DDR_A1, B1, C1, D1 for the first priority."

The memory I purchased, Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x8GB, came with one fan to be installed over the 4 RAM sticks. But this will not work if I install the memory on opposite sides of the processor.

What would happen if I installed the 4 sticks on one side in slots A1, A2, B1 & B2 so the fan will fit on top of them? Or should i get another fan or should I just install the one fan over two of the sticks A1, B1? The fan was not mentioned in the specs for the memory when i purchased this from PC. Is this a compatability issue?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Use of a fan for memory is basically a gimmick in majority of configurations.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

So I've done the build its up and running the cooler master cooler didn't fit too well in the case and I've discovered that the fan for the cpu is sucking into the case instead of blowing out. There are no definitve instructions with the fan to tell me which side of the fan mounts to the radiator.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube