add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First PC Build EVER. Take A Look? Help Me Reduce Price? Water Cooled, i7

XenovaDigital
  • 72 months ago

This is my first PC build ever!

So far, this is what I've got: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xwF3mG .

It's just about everything needed from the CPU to the water cooling barbs. Yes, it will be a water cooled PC.

I would appreciate any helpful comments and advice, especially for means of reducing the total price, I was expecting $1,500 max, not $2,650 :l

Thanks! :)

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

First of all, what are you going to be using this computer for? So I can see what can be cut down. Also you could get slower ram because the real world benefit is minimal for gaming and such when you have a dedicated gpu.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I use Photoshop, Vegas, After Effects, and will do some modern gaming on it. I'll look into the slower ram. Of course normal web things as well, I type code now and then and watch Netflix.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't water cool a 770, its not worth it. I would suggest getting NZXT's graphics liquid cooler. (Name escapes me at the moment).

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

That's just the adapter for the graphics card. You still need the actual system. Their 2x120mm system is the x60 and x61 they have smaller ones that are 140mm and 120mm however.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

What's the huge difference, either way I would be water cooling it, right?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Cost wise basically 500$ vs 150$.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Getting this GPU bracket over the waterblock would only bring it down about $100.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

No do away with the custom system and do a closed kit. NZXTs most expensive is 130$ plus the bracket for the GPU making it 160$ total.

Not that your GPU needs liquid cooled.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Well for one you don't need a power supply that high in wattage unless you plan on expanding to more GPUs or adding a more complex loop.

If you only plan on putting the OS on your SSD you can go for a 120 Evo for $80. There are cheaper 120gb SSDs for 50$.

The real way to shave down your cost is the water cooling. Since you're not running dual GPUs you most likely don't need that water block. You could cool your entire case with top teir fans for that price. With that being said and you are still set on water cooling for your CPU, look into the 2x120mm water cooling kits by Corsair or NZXT. I think you would be fine with a normal Noctura CPU cooler and leave the graphics card alone.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I will reduce wattage on the supply.

Also, I'll consider a cheaper and smaller SSD, but I was going to also put games on there.

The GPU watercooling was a bit overkill, I'll also certainly consider getting rid of that. Thanks!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Not many games will take advantage of the SSD. Games with many loading screens would pretty much be the only ones that benefit it. So games like DOTA, LoL, Smite, CoH (if it was still around), and MMORPGS.

With that extra spending money if you still want to spend it, you can invest it in a more expensive motherboard like a Hero VII from Asus or in a more advanced case or GPU.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, 500$ at the least is going toward watercooling, leaving you with 1000$ to work with. Unless you are editing or coding, drop that 16gb to 8gb (Ram is one of the things you can just get more of later) A SSD will help boot times, but Windows 8.1 loads really fast (much faster than windows 7) If you aren't going to sli (I'm going to assume not) so drop that to a 650w The only other thing I can think of is to wait for a mechanical keyboard and a cheaper mouse for atleast the time being

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I'll look into reducing the ram, but I will render videos regularly, so it may come in handy. I'll also certainly drop the PSU.

As far as the keyboard goes, you're right, and I'll look into the the somewhat cheaper non-mechanical keyboards (and a cheaper mouse).

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah if you really need that water cooling, there's not much you can work with budget wise... There are also quite a bit of 1000$ part lists you could "borrow" from

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

If you really want to save money without downgrading parts, air cool. A pc with parts of this quality and water cooled, with a custom loop, for $1500, not gonna happen. Personally, if it were me, I would get a good cpu cooler (noctua d14, d15, u14s... etc) and possibly swap to a higher airflow case. I have no experience with it, the H440 may have good airflow, but the design looks to me like it would hinder airflow.

Just a personal opinion. Plus you could always, air cool now and water cool 6mos to a year down the road, if you are dead set on water cooling. Personally though I wouldn't sacifice the quality of the parts to be able to afford water cooling.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed. It has descent air flow, not the best for one's money, not even the best for one's money from nzxt, I would do the Phantom 410 or the original Phantom for that money.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Corsair 450D would work nicely too.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

That it would. Personally I like the Phantom series, they have tons of space with the ones I've worked with. Now I just have to save up to get an 820 >:D

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes an 820 would be sweet! lol. I reccommend the 450 because it is a similar design to the H440.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube