add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Corsair Air 540 Fans

RedOmen

66 months ago

So I have received my Air 540 case and was wondering about its fans. I believe that the case has room for a total of 5 fans; 1 - back, and 2 on the front and top. I was wondering, if I wanted to get some better fans, which ones should I get and where should I position the intake/exhaust fans to get the best cooling. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 66 months ago
  • 2 points

Generally speaking you want to aim for 'positive pressure', ie equal or more airflow/pressure from your intake fans than your exhausts as negative will result in passive inflow though the mesh/vents on the back leading to dust entering your case. at stock it comes with 2 intake and one rear so you have positive pressure but for increase cooling you'll want to be filling the top 2 140mm exhaust mounts which will push the balance to negative. the solution would be to move those 2 front fans to the top and mount either 2 high airflow/pressure 140mm or 3x 120mm on the front.

The kind of fans you use in the front depend on the thickness of the dust filter. If it is a thicker-type made from foam then you definitely want to lean towards fans geared for higher static pressure, but if it is a thin/fine mesh then static pressure is less of an issue and you can go for fans geared towards higher airflow or are more balanced between the two. From what I've seen fans with high static pressure also have relatively high airflow anyway.

In terms of noise, the GPU is likely to be the loudest part with the fans more of a constant wooosh but most of this noise is produced by the fan blades and generally not annoying. However annoying noises like whining/grinding/rattling are usually produced by the motor. Fluid/hydraulic bearing are the best in this respect as they run quietly and have long lifespans. Cheaper fans usually use sleeve bearings but these suffer from being mounted with the shaft vertical. Rifles are similar and can be mounted vertical and ball bearing are not limited in orientation and are quieter at high speed (*** opposed to sleeve/rifle that are quieter at slow speeds).

Now actual fans, which depends on how much you are willing so spend (and if you care about colour). Note-worthy names to look into more would be; Noctua, cougar, scythe, corsair, cooler master, be quiet, noiseblocker, silenX (and I'm sure there are a few others but these are good ones I'm come across so far).

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the information. So just to be clear, you're suggesting that I have the rear and top be exhaust, and the front be intake?

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

yes bottom (n/a in this case) and front are intake, and rear and top are always exhaust...don't fight physics

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank-you very much, that helped tremendously.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

So I should have the front = intake & top/rear = exhaust?

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Might as well stick with this thread, no need to make a new one. Haven't bought any fans yet.

Anyways, I think I'm still going to take this advice. I'm going to move my front fans to the top, so I will have to buy either 2x140mm or 3x120mm (to replace the ones that are being moved). I was thinking of getting these Noctua brand fans http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Stall-Bearing-PWM-Cooling-NF-S12A/dp/B00BEZZBFO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1420711508&sr=8-9&keywords=noctua. Are these good enough? Do they move enough air? Should I also just replace all the default fans in my system or is it okay just to keep those and just buy fans for the front of my case?

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube