add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Newcomer; help with upgrades!

Sevin
  • 72 months ago

Hi, I am very new to DIY PC stuff and was wondering if I could get some help upgrading my current machine. My computer has: i2600k processor Radeon HD 6850 Graphics Card 8GB RAM 500GB HD Gigabyte GA-z68AP-d3 Motherboard 600w PSU Thermaltake Case (Not sure which one)

I bought this from cyberpowerpc a few years ago and am thinking about upgrading my video card for games like Titanfall , Battlefield 4 ,etc. Could anyone provide me with and tips about which route to take? Do I need to upgrade more than just my video card for such games?

Thanks, Sevin

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

The CPU you have is older, but still has decent power. Your ram is OK, and the gpu is the only thing that definitely needs an update it seems. What's your gpu budget and how many watts is your power supply? These are the crucial things we need to know in order to make a recommendation.

Also, what model psu is it or how many and what kind of power cables do you have for a gpu? Most of the modern gpus require extra cables like 2 8pin connectors or an 8pin and 6pin,etc... So we basically need to know if you have to upgrade the psu also for a new graphics card.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

200 is my budget for the gpu and I have 600w in the power supply. I'm at work right now so I cant check on the brand and number of cables.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Is there a way I can check the cable information by looking up the kind of graphics card I have?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

No. It's a psu spec. You just need to open the case and look.

For your budget though, I'd look at an amd 270x graphics card. If you find a 280 on sale though, get that.

Your psu has enough power for those.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, thanks for the advice!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube