add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Fans for Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window

AustinTheTimelord

66 months ago

Could someone tell me how many 120mm fans would be sufficient to put in this case?

EDIT: I'd be using these fans.

EDIT #2: I did a bit of poking around and I've noticed 5 spots so far. Two in the front panel, two along the top (which I'll be using for an H100i) and one on the back. Would they all support 120mm fans?

Comments

• 66 months ago
  • 2 points

NO, LISTEN CAREFULLY All fan spots on the R4 support 140mm fans. But the h100i uses 120mm fans (this will fit on the top but won't take up the whole grill space). It's a pain in the butt to install 120mm fans on the front always use 140. Your power supply may be too long to support another 140 on the bottom so it may need to be a 120mm. Furthermore if you're using the cases fan controller at 5v make sure the fans you're getting actually start at 5v. Get Static pressure optimized fans on the front if you can due to the sound proofing foam and the total static pressure on your intake fans should be higher than the total output fans. The h100i should have static pressure optimized 120 mm fans.

I have the black non-windowed version of this case so feel free to ask any questions you have about it.

Also Mirror brings up a good point. Why do you need to fill all the spots on it?

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

would you mind linking me to some recommended fans? What I'm getting out of this is that I need 4 120mm (2 in the H100i, one on the bottom, on on the back) and 2 140mm for the front panel. All Static Pressure. Do I need a fan controller for the drive bay?

• 66 months ago
  • 2 points

Don't think I made myself clear sorry. One on the back is a 140mm. One on the bottom is also a 140mm but you might only fit a 120mm in there with a PSU installed depending on the size of the PSU. Front fans just use the ones that come with the case. You won't be able to see them anyway. So you'll need 2 120mm fans for the H100i I recommend Corsairs SP version: (The SP version of the fans you linked)

As for the back and maybe base of the case to match the theme: 140 Airflow

They'll probably run at 5v but if not you can flick the switch to 7.

Keep in mind there are other options.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

What do you mean flick the switch to 7?

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

there's a switch on the front behind the door. You can set it to 5v 7v and 12v. The higher the voltage the faster the fans run.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

OH alright. I'll make sure to do that.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm just trying to get the best airflow possible.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Front: 2x 120mm or 140mm

Rear: 1x 120mm or 140mm

Top: 2x 120mm (but you need 120mm for an H100i)

Bottom: 1x 120mm or 140mm

Corsair fans are nice if you want aesthetics. Noctuas are nice if you don't care (or you actually like the color) and want great silence-to-airflow ratio. There's also the kinda pricey Noiseblocker NB-eLoops, Scythe Grand Flexes, and most fans from Fractal Design. NZXT and Bitfenix make nice LED fans.

The only thing I'd actually warn about are Corsair LED fans, as they look good but all use sleeve bearings, if that is a con to you. Their regular SP and AF fans use hydraulic bearings.

• 66 months ago
  • 0 points

When it comes to putting fans on the h100i, get SP120s instead. They are pressure optimised fans that do better at forcing the air through the radiator. You probably don't need to use all the fan spaces.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube