add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build, decent for the price?

gunbladebeserkr
  • 72 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor $112.49 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B85M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $58.98 @ SuperBiiz
Memory A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $84.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $53.99 @ Newegg
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 280 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card $199.99 @ NCIX US
Case Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $44.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $43.98 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer $14.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $603.39
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-19 17:02 EDT-0400

Mostly for gaming, MOBAs like Dota and stuff. Also, if I were to make a machine for my mother, a general use + Finale computer, what sort of stuff should I be looking for?

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm i think a 280 is a bit too much for DOTA and games similar to that, though having a high-end GPU isn't bad. The PC is nice, though I,myself, would get a i5 rather than a i3, but thats just me. A i3 should serve you fine in gaming.(Someone correct me if im wrong, but i dont think a 4130 will bottleneck a 280).

As for your mom's PC, a AMD APU is probably fine considering she won't need a good GPU. 8 Gbs of ram, a usuable mobo, and a SSD(replaceable with a HDD, depending if she likes faster storage or a ton of storage).

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

What would be the i5 of choice here?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm I don't really know what to recommend to you as a replacement to a i3 because the price difference is pretty large so i'll just recommend what I got, the 4670K(4670 if you don't plan on overclocking). Its ~$100 more but the performance will be alot faster and no worry on bottlenecking the GPU. You could probably use a previous generation i5, a i5-3570 but the price between that and the 4670 is similar still.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I would really like my PC to be able to handle shooters as well, Borderlands and Battlefield and the like. I just mostly play MOBAs at the moment, having a better PC would open up the opportunities for me. And would it be cheaper to build my mom a decent PC, or just get her a clunker on sale for back to school sales?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm this probably doesn't answer your question, but why not consider buying her a laptop? Its much more portable, so she can move it around the house/ go to work with it. Plus, laptops are efficient for daily uses and are pretty cheap if you are looking for one that doesn't need gaming capabilities.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube