add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
MadridYank
  • 72 months ago

Hey,

Like many others, first time builder here. I was playing around and put this together and wanted any and all opinions. My budget is pretty flexible (this one is ~$1200) but if there are more cost effective parts to get the same or comparable results please let me know. Basically, I will be using this pc for gaming. 60fps, 1080p yada yada.

Thanks so much for any help.

Here's the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PdfjNG

EDIT: Just to clarify, this being my first time I'm not totally set on anything I picked. I want the power to play the current high end games at high-max settings with some leeway for the future. Hopefully that can be accomplished around the price range I'm currently at. I don't mind spending a little extra to be happy. All opinions and advice is welcome! Thanks!

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

This is what I'm going to build in another 2 months or so... This should perform amazingly:p http://pcpartpicker.com/user/D42RAW/saved/NjrmP6

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Your paying a premium for a few big name brands (RAM, Power supply). I changed these out for better priced, but still respectable brands. I changed the motherboard to a z97 chipset, as the chipset you had selected doesn't support the overclocking feature of your processor. If you want to future proof this a little and have the ability to add a second graphics card down the road, you should pick out a larger power supply then the one I have selected. At least 750w probably.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $239.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $123.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $72.00 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $77.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card $319.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $67.99 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1136.89
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the response. I do have a question in regards to an ssd over hdd? What's the advantages and disadvantages and since I'll be using this for gaming does it really make that much of a difference?

And overall do you think this is a pretty solid build? I can feel confident ordering this and getting the performance I expect?

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate this being a novice and all.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

The advantage of a SSD is faster read/write times. Which means if you put your operating system and applications on it, your pc will boot up and load those programs faster. The disadvantage is cost. Once you have loaded your game and are playing it, there won't really be a difference. Overall, looks like a solid, well planned PC. I think you'll get the performance you are looking for.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

So before I pull the plug and begin ordering parts I made a few modifications. Namely I decided to go with the i7 and downgrade to windows 7.

Before I did that though I just wanted one last lookover over for advice. Should I stick with 8 over 7? Thanks again for all input. You've all been a lot of help.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/MadridYank/saved/L4KcCJ

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube