add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Excellent Budget PC for Browsing/Skype. Can handle extreme couponing/facebook/skype/pandora

vikingXcore
  • 72 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/vikingXcore/saved/Knzkcf

Hello Everyone in the world ever!

Thanks for taking a little bit of time to read this. I was trying to go for a decent looking computer that can handle my wife's excessive use of web browsing tabs and Skype.

Needs

Best CPU/APU under $200 Great looking case that won't burn up and under $60 RAM- No idea if 1600MHz is too low or not high enough. 16gb preferred in a perfect world or just fast 8gb will suffice. Under $100 GPU shouldn't be necessary as this isn't for gaming or rendering or anything... right? HDD or SSD- Rather 500gb, but more strongly would rather efficient least time-consuming time to boot and start cookin' coupons. HDD can be added later. The perfect price would be no less than $700 +/- $50 (exclude shipping) WLAN in case she wants to move shop or I feel like kicking her off to play with my Tina (gaming pc, you devils...)

Wants

I want this in a form of a small case for mobility and weigh next to nothing. I want this thing to be fairly fast and can handle pretty heavy loads (bow shikka) I reeeeallly would like to prioritize the CPU and RAM in the build, i.e. shave off other parts to get better parts of these.

Any suggestions would be great. This isn't going to be made any time soon, but maybe next year.

Take a gander at Tiny Tina if you'd like! Pictures aren't the greatest, and minor changes (PSU upside-down, cable management, etc.) have been made since she was posted.

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/26M8TW

Very Respectfully, vikingXcore

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

Usually for general uses the CPU's onboard graphics is enough. You just connect the monitor to the motherboard and your ready to go.

1600Mhz RAM is fine. I have 16GB of it, but I do video rendering and I need it. With 8GB you will be content.

An SSD is a must with new computer builds.

I will make a parts list for you as soon as I get a chance :)

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

Hey, thanks for the feedback I appreciate that!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

So for your budget of less than $700, I would recommend something along the lines of this:

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $259.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $30.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus Z87-K ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $112.99 @ NCIX US
Memory Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $74.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $59.99 @ Micro Center
Case Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case $53.99 @ Mwave
Power Supply Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $53.65 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $646.59

The case is usually based on personal preference and I would recommend that you choose one yourself :) As for the rest of the parts, I would like you to use this list as a basis for your future editions of your build.

Regards

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey AACJenius, thanks for the feedback. I too was looking at something similar to what you sent after giving it some thought. great price on that mobo, that was a good find! would 8gb really suffice over 16gb? also i was thinking maybe a hybrid drive might be worth looking into. you got any opinion on that?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, I updated the URL to the parts list I was putting together, if that helps haha. the old one is now broke since I deleted it.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

The 2 changes I would do is get gold certified PSU like this one and either bigger ssd, 240gb of the same manufacturer ~100$ or hdd ~40-50$

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi, unless you will want to edit videos you aren't going to need more than 8GB of RAM.

A hybrid drive would be more cost effective, however I wouldn't be able to recommend one for many reasons and I wouldn't. The small SSD for the OS and the larger HDD for apps and data are a good combination and a good solution for most budget PCs today.

CDs and DVDs are obsolete technology so I would strongly recommend you don't purchase an optical drive.

The parts list in the link looks good. Bear in mind that the price you see is only what you will get if you drive to a Micro Center in the U.S, walk in and purchase the CPU yourself. But of course, you can always ask to price match from another store. I managed to save a lot of money on my build by price matching.

Hope I helped :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube