add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking for a clean minimal mini-itx case

Scannell24

66 months ago

Hello all,

first time build here, first time post. I'll get to it: I'm trying to build a super small computer that can still fit a discrete graphics card. I'm having trouble finding the right case for my mini-itx build, I'm trying to keep it as small as possible with these requirements:

fits a 200W or greater pico-PSU NO CD-drive has room for a single-slot PCIe x16

probably advantageous to have external fans but again size is king so small fans at most, I have access to a 3d printer so I should be able to create a funnelling type system that efficiently routes the cool air to hot places i.e. the CPU.

the CPU will certainly be sub 50W but I haven't decided on anything exact yet

any suggestions? SMALLER THE BETTER :)

Comments

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

The smallest possible case for a decent GPU would be the Lian-Li PC-TU100. You're limited to an ASUS GTX 670/760 Mini or an MSI GTX 760 ITX.

If you want a full sized graphics card, the next smallest would be the Rosewill Legacy U2, but I'm not a fan of its single-fan setup. With just 1 fan your only choice is to use it as exhaust to draw air through the case (there's nowhere else for air to go if you use it as intake). Exhaust-only creates a dust problem as your case becomes a dust vacuum at every crack or opening, as it forces air to be take in from anywhere that's available.

The next smallest case that supports full-size GPUs without dust issues is the Silverstone FT03 Mini. I'd choose it over the Rosewill Legacy U2.

And finally, if you need hard drive space, the next up would be the Fractal Design Node 304 which offers you what the Silverstone does, but with the ability to use 6 3.5" or 2.5" hard drives, instead of 1x 3.5" + 2x 2.5".

The only one I'd really recommend against is the Legacy, but it depends on how important the small form factor is to you. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Hope this helps.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi, hijacking OP's thread for a while here, what do you think of the Thermaltake SD101 and Lian Li PC-Q02? I'm looking at getting either one of those.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

I like the aesthetic of the PC-Q02 but dislike that it's passively cooled (dust), but I really dislike the SD101 because it's actively exhaust-cooled (super dust). The SD101 looks to be 90% mesh as well, which makes it that much easier for dust to get vacuumed in.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh well, that sucks. Shouldn't get too dusty under the TV cabinet i hope. Thanks for your help.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you're right that being in that area wouldn't be as bad, but you also have to consider you'd probably look after a PC under a TV cabinet less often than a PC on your desk. It evens out imo when you take into account maintenance.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

It's going to be a low power system anyway, so it shouldn't matter as much as when using an FX :p.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Node 304 maybe?

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

The new Corsair Graphite Series 380T Mini-ITX will fit your needs but won't be available until August.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube