add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is it worth building an entirely new system?

evilfurby
  • 72 months ago

So I want to upgrade to 4k gaming around October when Evolve comes out, but I'm not sure if I should build my system from scratch or just upgrade my current rig. My current PC was built in 2011, but it still runs games very well considering I'm wielding 2 ATI Radeon 6970s, which a single R9 290x would crush performance wise. I want to upgrade to the XFX double dissipation R9 290x in crossfire (x2). Here are my current specs:

Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced - High Air Flow Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and All-Black Interior

1 x Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced

3 x ASUS VE247H Black 23.6" Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor

Cooler Master Silent Pro M - 1000W Power Supply with 80 PLUS Bronze Certification and Semi-Modular Cables

ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

2 x SAPPHIRE 100311-2SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card ... LG Black Super Multi SATA WH12LS30 LightScribe Support

1 x LG Black Super Multi SATA WH12LS30 LightScribe Support - OEM

1 x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 ST1000DM005/HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

I have the Intel i5 2500k OC'd to 3.9ghz w/water cooling (H100).

My question is, is it really worth it for me to build a completely new system, or should I just plug in two R9 290x's for my current 6970s? I want to run some of the newer games coming out in 4k.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Definatly not worth rebuilding the whole thing. Since you are kind of thinking opt spending the money anyways, defiantly put it towards the gpus, instead of a whole new pc. I would probably recommend one gpu and a newer motherboard. Probably a z87 type. May even be worth replacing your cpu/mobo/gpu setup to an i7 4770k and a socket 1150 motherboard. Then get one of those cards and add a second down the road.

Ill post a few options to consider:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $259.99 @ Micro Center
Motherboard Asus Z87-Pro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $178.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card $489.99 @ NCIX US
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $928.97

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $189.99 @ Micro Center
Motherboard Asus Z87-Pro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $178.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card $489.99 @ NCIX US
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $858.97

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For $0.00
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Deluxe (REV 3.0) ATX LGA1155 Motherboard Purchased For $0.00
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $489.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $489.99 @ NCIX US
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $979.98

Of course i can mix and match all day long, but those first two are what i suggest.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to have to get two GPUs if I want to run 4k smoothly. I'm not sure if it's even worth waiting until october to upgrade though, since it doesn't seem there are any new GPUs coming out that are going to drive the 290x prices down lower. $489 is the lowest I have ever seen them.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

you can run 4k on one 290x. Maybe not max settings on all games, but for saving $490 and upgrading your cpu and mobo, i think its defiantly worth it. You can always go down to 3k if needed. O the horror of having to run some games at 3k graphics :P

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Money is really not an issue, but I don't want to throw money at the system if it's not going to make much of a difference anyways. And I definitely don't want to build the system from scratch again if I don't have to, since that's a pain in the ***. From the benchmarks I've seen, upgrading from my current processor to the i7-4770k would only increase my fps by 2 on average at best, so it's probably not worth it. I don't know if upgrading my mobo would show much of an increase either. It has 16x pcie 2.0 slots, which have been shown to be just as good as pcie 3.0 for gaming. I may just end up buying two r9 290xs and a 4k monitor. Has anyone heard of a new ATI GPU coming out anytime soon? I couldn't find anything online, but I would be pissed if I dropped $900 on two new video cards now and then a new one came out in 2 months. Anyone think the prices are going to go down much further? I'm going to buy my system no later than October, but if the prices are likely to be the same then I might as well upgrade now.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Maxwell from Nvidia should be coming out next year. Considering that Star Citizen is coming out in 2016 IIRC, you still are good. :p

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Any input from anyone else? I'd prefer not to rebuild my system from scratch if not necessary. I'm tempting to get 2 of the XFX Radeon R9 290x double dissipation cards and plug them in and seeing how they run 4k.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Buy the dual 290x's first and put them into your current build. If you ever get near 100% CPU utilization on any core, consider buying a new rig because then your CPU is bottlenecking you GPU's.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright. I guess I'll just go ahead and upgrade to the 290x's now, I mean...no point in waiting since i doubt the price will drop much in the next 3 months.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Also what power supply do you have? One r9 290x pulls 50 more Watts than one 6970.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Cooler Master Silent Pro M - 1000W Power Supply with 80 PLUS Bronze Certification and Semi-Modular Cables. Do you think that will be sufficient for 290x in crossfire?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't upgrade imo. Everything but gpu's look good. Sell them or use them in another system. Go with dual 290's or a 780 ti. (the new gtx 880's are coming soon which should affect pricing!)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

http://wccftech.com/amd-pirate-islands-r9-300-series-bermuda-fiji-treasure-islands-xtx/ if that is true maybe I will hold off. Then again, i think the only reason to wait would be for dx12, but i don't know of any game coming out in the next year that even uses it. In fact, this says MS says the first dx12 game coming out isn't until the holiday season of 2015, so I guess there really is no point in waiting. http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/20/directx-12-first-dx12-games-to-hit-the-market-around-holiday-2015-says-microsoft/

I'M GOING TO BUY THE CARDS NOW! Then I just need to wait for 4k monitors to drop a bit in price.

UPDATE: Ok so I ordered. So excited to update my cards. Hoping I will see a mega improvement in performance. These 6970s have treated me well the past 2 1/2 years, but father time has caught up!

Update: Weak, I can only order one for $459 through NCIXUS, one per customer limit.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I'M GOING TO BUY THE CARDS NOW!

I know that feeling lol.

UPDATE: Ok so I ordered. So excited to update my cards.

Awesome, enjoy

Update: Weak, I can only order one for $459 through NCIXUS, one per customer limit.

Well damn limited stocks anyway!!!!! Whey don't you just wait for the R9 295x to drop? lol

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube