PCPartPicker

• Register

Utility that logs CPU usage for each core in Windows?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

JaneGoodall 53 months ago

According to Windows's built-in Performance Monitor, I am getting "40" max CPU utilization on my i5-4670 while playing Crusader Kings II. I have no idea whether this means core 0 is at 40% and the rest are unutilized, core 0 is at 100% and core 1 is at 60%, whether each core is at 10%, whether the average of all cores is at 40%, etc. So it's pretty much useless.

Has anyone been able to find a free utility that records this information to a file? Or at least has a graph of the last few minutes so that I can see utilization right after I exit my game? Lavalys EVEREST editions only have 30 day free trials.

Comments Sorted by:

philip staff 10 Builds 1 point 53 months ago
JaneGoodall submitter 1 Build 1 point 53 months ago

Thanks but that's what I'm already using. It doesn't show utilization per core.

philip staff 10 Builds 2 points 53 months ago

You should be able to configure it to monitor each core independently. Perfmon can be configured to monitor all sorts of things, like individual stats on hard drives, OS-level events, etc. You just need to specify the counters you want to graph/log.

JaneGoodall submitter 1 Build 1 point 53 months ago

Thanks. After digging around, I figured out that I have to add the individual cores separately. Each core is an "instance", presumably of a processor object. I had to further configure the graph to show % Processor Time for each core.