add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Trying to make Budget PC with a FREE i7 4820K CPU. ~$600-$650 tops

vikingXcore
  • 72 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gtXGnQ

Hello everyone!

Trying to figure out a cheap, efficient beast of a budget pc for my wife to do everyday browsing and extreme EXTREME couponing.

The CPU was already bought by me because not even a few days ago, I built my first rig Tina and since I barely knew anything about computers I then realized I got a 4820k with an LGA1150 mobo. $330 down the drain. Thought about returning it then I thought to myself, "wait, now I got one of the more expensive parts in a computer, everything else would be a breeze to grab". So, I came up with this list.

Aim of the game, Beast that eats 20-30 browser tabs a sitting with a side of Skype!! ...under $650.

Parts I chose:

CPU i7 4820K is lying around with no computer to give commands. sad CPU :'(

CPU Cooler it's an effing i7!! It has to have a CPU Cooler! Open for suggestions

Motherboard Really couldn't find a cheap enough mobo with an LGA2011 socket.

Memory This I would like to make a 16gb instead 8gb, but these 8gb aren't exactly slow. Open for suggestions

Storage Wife's impatient and would be thrilled to have windows 8.1 boot up and ready to go. Also storage for pics :3

Video Card My wife can't even Windows; no need for a GPU. Will however add one in the future, maybe 2?

Case Pretty baller lookin' case. Would prefer something more feminine, but i can just buy pink LED fans later. Open for suggestions

Power Supply I know, overkill. It's hard to find a decent 300W-350W psu for cheap.

Optical Drive Bluray not necessary, but fun. Hell, an optical drive is unnecessary, but I don't really know how to boot the OS otherwise. (thumb drive maybe?)

OS Windows 8.1 is new, but not horrible OS to get used to. She's already used to it, so that helps.

WLAN I really want this desktop to be portable which equals need WLAN (you know, in case she goes to friends'/family's house or something)

Pretty much open for suggestions for anything the ones that i pointed out I reeeallly want opinions on.

Oh and my gaming rig Tina is located here: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/26M8TW About to take her apart and put her back together again, need to get her both Dimm's working, maybe mobo issue that only one at a time works.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, firstly I don't quite understand how the CPU is "free" if you still bought it albeit on accident. It looks good but I would change the RAM to at least 1600 and change the PSU to a Corsair 430.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey thanks for the feedback, I meant free as in for this configuration. Believe me that $330 loss still hurts, but I figured I got it, might as well do something with it, ya?

Could you explain your reasoning for the change in the PSU?

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

I've heard mixed things about Rosewell power supplies. I am not too sure on the Stallion line of PSU's but I personally would go with a brand that is usually trusted across the board. You could also go with the 500b from EVGA. Also you said you would go with a smaller wattage but you could not find one for a good price so I was suggesting one.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

ok great. thanks I will definitely look into it then! I'm not too keen on what's good yet and am still trying to learn my way around the ropes and having someone who has more experience than me always helps. Thank you very much!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

If you cannot buy a HDD for your wife in the early future you can get rid of the SSD and get a SSHD (Hybrid drive) for speed and mass storage.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya, those are new to me they seem pretty interesting. I mean, she does need storage for the oodles of pics and videos of our kids, it might be a safer bet. I don't know how reliable those are though

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube