add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC for Adobe PhotoShop & Lightroom

MSurgenor
  • 72 months ago

I'd be interested in any feedback in the following spec please? This would be a second PC and only ever used for photo manipulation with Adobe Photoshop (CS6) and Lightroom (v5). I might want to progress to video editing later but for the moment I'd be happy to spec just for photo editing (large RAW files).

I already have the monitors and other peripherals and a Win 8.1 licence. My budget is £1,000. My specific questions follow this spec...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-3820 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor £215.00 @ Scan.co.uk
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-L12 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler £43.67 @ Scan.co.uk
Motherboard ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard £165.29 @ Amazon UK
Memory Kingston HyperX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £111.99 @ Amazon UK
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £53.49 @ Amazon UK
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £99.99 @ Amazon UK
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card £176.11 @ Scan.co.uk
Case Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case £64.98 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £64.99 @ Amazon UK
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer £12.76 @ CCL Computers
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £1061.76

My specific questions are:

CPU - I favour an Intel i7 and have dithered between 4770 and 3820. I've gone for 3820 in this build - have I chosen wisely given the PC's purpose?

Motherboard - I've always favoured Asus motherboards in previous builds but I saw another Photoshop build elsewhere on PCPartPicker that used this board. The Asus boards I've looked at are probably around £30 cheaper so that would help me achieve my budget. Any comment?

Memory I'm clueless on this topic so, hands up, have copied others! I want 16GB and I think I've read that 2x8 is better that 1x16 (and/or 4x4?)? Am i correct to go for 1,600MHz or should I be aiming higher?

SSD My plan is Win 8.1 and the Adobe programs on one SSD and the other solely as a PS scratch disk? Are these sized correctly - again remembering there will be very little else on this PC?

HD My current PC set up (that this PC will replace, at least for photo manipulation) has two WD 1TB drives that are used for data and backup (nightly replication) with a further continuous backup to the Cloud. I was originally going to stick with this but I've plumped for one 2TB drive and will now just backup to the Cloud. Comments?

GPU If I've interpreted what I've read correctly I think this card is potentially superfluous? I could get away with the onboard Intel graphics? Is that true ('cos it would help my budget greatly). However I've never relied solely on onboard graphics before and am nervous of this approach.

Power Supply I love everything I've read and viewed about the Fractal Design case so won't be swayed from that and I did initially want to use an FD PSU but they don't seem to do a modular unit which I'm used to (and want). Have I chose wisely with the EVGA or could I do better? PCPartPicker suggest I'm over spec'd but to be honest I can't recall the last PSU I bought that was less than 650W.

Appreciate anyone taking the time to review this and provide their feedback. Many thanks.

Malcolm

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you planning to overclock?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

No plans to OC

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

You might want to look at AMD GPU since Adobe Photoshop is OpenGL based.
Why not this instead?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor £215.99 @ Aria PC
Motherboard Asus H97-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £78.86 @ PC World Business
Memory Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £105.82 @ Amazon UK
Storage Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £69.59 @ Aria PC
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card £208.99 @ Amazon UK
Case Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case £64.98 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £64.99 @ Amazon UK
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer £12.76 @ CCL Computers
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £928.96
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I like what you did there, particularly around the total cost - that's a significant saving - mainly in the motherboard. The 4790 looks good (smaller L2 & L3 cache tho').
What's your views on doing without the GPU initially and just using the Intel HD 4600 to start with? I'm off to investigate AMD GPU more since that wasn't initially on my radar... Thanks - appreciate your input.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm unsure about using the HD4600 since you'll be video editing.
Also this might be useful.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

That link is a great help. Convinced now! :-)

Thanks

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Just noticed - no cooler. Are you suggesting sticking with Intel stock?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep, the intel stock CPU cooler is silent and reliable

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Quick question - what's the best / most effective way to add Wi-Fi to this build? I don't think the MB has it from reading the spec. Thanks

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube