add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Budget Photo Editing Build...Please Advise, Newbie Here

photoisland00
  • 72 months ago

This is my first build with photo editing in mind. I've built a couple of machines before but it has been a while so I'm asking for your collective wisdom on this.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $199.98 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $129.98 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory $89.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $99.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $99.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $39.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $689.90

Note: Monitors, mouse, OS drive, case, I already own so not included in this list

I can live with this total price but if I could shave off $100 without losing much performance I would be happier. Any suggestions? My photo editing is mostly done in Lightroom 4 and some Photoshop Elements. I'm choosing to rely on the integrated graphics of the Intel chip because I understand a graphics card doesn't buy me much performance-wise. Also, I'm not planning on over-clocking the CPU, but should I? I suppose I could buy an unlocked one for not much more. The motherboard choice is one of my biggest questions. I think I can save some money there and go with a cheaper one but I'm trying to maximize value and reliability with this build. I read this article about memory for the Haswell processors and thus chose the DDR3-2133 memory but the cheaper motherboards don't appear to support that speed. Your advice on any or all of this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

"z" motherboards generally have more SATA connectors (via Marvel or other controllers added to the board). They support higher RAM speeds. Offer overclocking stability, have more software and features. Allow for Crossfire or SLI, and generally cost more :).

Overclocking now-a-days is fairly easy. There is usually an "easy button" one click overclocking where the board literally overclocks the CPU for you. Crazy stuff man.

Puget systems has a nice article outlining the differences between the different motherboard chipsets. (Also keep in mind that the Z97 and H97 chipsets have been released to go with the new Haswell Refresh Processors.)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you, and that article was very helpful too.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem, hope it helps you pick what you want to do!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube