add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Using mobo VGA vs GPU DVI - D

Tahab_1
  • 72 months ago

Hi is it worth buying a vga to dvi adapter for my monitor to use with my GPU or should I just use my mobo vga port? Part list here:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Tahab_1/saved/kMCD4D

For the record my monitor does not have a dvi port

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Get the adapter. If you use the motherboard output then your 290 is not being used...

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm, So if I used the GPU DVI port does it give me extra advantages like better monitor quality? And also does this mean that the system won't recognise the GPU at all?

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

If you want the gpu to be used for your display (which you do), then you must connect to the gpu port. By connecting to the motherboard you are not using the gpu, which means MUCH lower performance.

The gpu will be recognized if you connect to the motherboard, it just won't be used for anything.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube