add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Thinking about upgrading from Gaming laptop to Gaming desktop, any help?

Nimex
  • 72 months ago

I own an Acer Aspire V3-571G-73616G50Makk. Couldn't find the Acer page, so here is a short list of the hardware (no idea if I missed anything, I don't know much about computer mechanics etc.):

-Intel Core i7

-NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M

-6GB DDR3 Memory

-500 GB HDD

It was advertised as a gaming laptop and it worked pretty well so far, but I bought it two years ago and lately I've had some trouble with it. For example, when I try to run Assassin's Creed IV or The Witcher II on the lowest graphic settings I only get 5 FPS. It might have to do something with the fan, since it's overheating pretty fast.

Anyway, I've been thinking about solutions, and one thing I've been thinking about for a while is to build a new desktop PC. Unfortunately I'm a total noob when it comes to PC building and I don't know where to start, so I was hoping you guys could help me? I have a maximum budget of €750,- ($1000) but I'd like to stay around €500,- ($650). I don't need super-high graphics or FPS, I'd be happy with 20 FPS and low-medium graphics, but I want to be able to run even the bigger games like Assassin's Creed without problems and I want my PC to last for at least a few more years. Anyway, could you guys help me out?

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor €121.90 @ Caseking
Motherboard ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard €72.68 @ Amazon Deutschland
Memory Kingston HyperX Grey 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory €68.98 @ Amazon Deutschland
Storage Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive €61.78 @ Amazon Deutschland
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive €39.00 @ Amazon Deutschland
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB TurboDuo Video Card €171.59 @ Amazon Deutschland
Case BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case €11.90 @ Caseking
Power Supply EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply €55.89 @ Amazon Deutschland
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available €603.72

damn,you guys get that nice case for so cheap. im so jelly.

you can probably trim a little bit more by using small brands but i just went with names i was comfortable recommending.

anyway,you can get much more than 20 fps on this ;)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

The reason that case is so cheap is because its just the side panel not the actual case. damn

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

my whole life is a lie!

this one looks like a good alternative : http://de.pcpartpicker.com/part/bitfenix-case-bfccom100wwxs1rp

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

This looks pretty good, thanks! So this would give me... 620 GB of storage? That should be enough, now that I think about it. An 8-core processor sounds good, but will I need that much? And how about the video card? If I'd be able to get this build just a little cheaper without any loss in performance it'd be perfect!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/dy6bCJ

the drive is slightly slower,you wont get the full speed of a ssd but it cuts down on costs.you can just got for a regular hard drive to shave off another 20.

the 8core has 8 fairly weak cores so its similar the entry level 4th gen i5. but alot cheaper.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube