add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
dmenchac
  • 72 months ago

Hello all I am in need of guidance once again. I currently have a Corsair 540 case (freakin love it!) and I was wondering what set up to use. I currently have the Corsair H100i installed and mounted on the top of my case and using it as an intake. I would rather keep this as an intake despite conflicting opinions. That leaves me with one fan in the back currently set up as an exhause and two fans in the front acting as intakes. Is this succifient enough to cool my machine?

Using an i7 4790k (when it releases)and a GTX 770

Thoughts/opinions?

Thank you

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I recommend using the front and bottom as intake, and the h100i and back as outtake.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes it's sufficient. Any setup that has more intake than exhaust is good. There's no real reason to be running hot air right over your motherboard though, so I'm in that group that suggests exhaust on the H100i.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Then why does Corsair want you to use the H100i as an exhause?

Not arguing with you guys, I am just trying to learn

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

You mean intake? They recommend intake because that's what allows them to advertise the lowest possible temperatures results on their coolers, as you will get slightly lower temperatures using outside air. They're a business. But it's at the expense of everything else in your system. If I had to choose between heat directly to your components vs heat into a radiator, I would choose the radiator any day.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Heat rises, even if you put the intake at the upside of the case, it will repeatedly go against the wind produced by the intake.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes I meant intake!

And thank you all

So my setup should be:

2xfans for the H100i set as exhaust 1x larger fan in the back set as intake 2x smaller fans stacked on top each other set as intake

Will I be alright with just the h100i as the only exhaust?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I would keep the rear fan as exhaust. The radiator is high enough impedance to the airflow that you'll still effectively have more intake using just the 2 front fans as intake.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Correct but Corsair recommends using the H100i as an intake so you are not exhausting hot air onto the radiator which is being used to cool your CPU.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

You would rather exhaust hot air onto your motherboard VRM and PCH, RAM, and the back of your GPU than into your radiator whose sole purpose in this world is heat exchange?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube