add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Chrawnus
  • 72 months ago

I've decided to upgrade from my Acer Laptop to a proper gaming rig. I'm prepared to pay around 3000-3500$. The only requirements I have is basically that the CPU and GPU are from Intel and Nvidia. I went ahead and quickly assembled some parts that looked decent, but before going ahead and buying the parts I'd be interested in tips on how I could improve this build. Here's the link to the build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3mRxbv

The 32 Gb RAM is probably overkill and I could probably go down to 16 Gbs of RAM instead. Other than that, what would you guys suggest in terms of improving this build, especially if I want to "future-proof" it?

ETA: Also, the 1000W PSU is definitely overkill, so I'll probably downgrade it to a 850W PSU, as I assume 850W will be enough, even if I decide to add another graphics card further down the line.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $339.99 @ TigerDirect
CPU Cooler Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $100.00 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $189.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $154.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $214.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $103.65 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Dual Classified ACX Video Card $709.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT H440 (Red/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $109.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Antec High Current Pro Platinum 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $189.99 @ Newegg
Monitor *BenQ XL2420Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor $339.99 @ NCIX US
Case Fan Aerocool DS 120mm Red 81.5 CFM 120mm Fan $16.00 @ Newegg
Keyboard *Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard $111.99 @ Amazon
Mouse ROCCAT Kone XTD Wired Laser Mouse $64.99 @ NCIX US
Headphones SteelSeries Siberia v2 Headset $81.41 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2823.96
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria

Better GPU, better fans that match the color scheme, motherboard that supports enough fan headers to allow you to ditch the fan controller and use software based fan control, case that matches the color scheme, better SSD (raid0 means no cloning in the future and if one fails you're screwed), and a prettier mouse (used it and is still to date one of my favorites outdoing logitech and the deathadder)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot. I'm almost convinced that this is the build I want, the only thing I'm still considering is whether I should buy two 256GB SSDs instead of one 512GB, or perhaps one 128GB (for my OS) and one 480GB. I'm not planning on using raid0 either way.

ETA: I also see that the Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler has a noise level of 37.7 dbA. Wouldn't that get a bit annoying in the long run? ;P

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

I'm glad to hear you like it, and if you go through with it (or a variation) I expect you to pm me when it's done with a link to the photos :P. Also would love to hear what you think about the fans as I've heard nothing but rave reviews about them so far.

As for the SSD thing, honestly I wouldn't bother. I'm using a 500gb 840 evo (was cheaper than the crucial at the time), and couldn't be happier with the performance and amount of storage.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, thanks for the reply. I'll probably stick with one 512 GB SSD then. As for the Liquid CPU Cooler, isn't 37.7 dbA kind of loud?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't pay attention to manufacturer specs. You could easily switch them out. In fact you will be, as the fans I chose for you including 2 to replace the stock ones.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, that's good to know.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, it'll probably take a while for me to actually get this build up and running. This is about 1.3-1.4 months worth of wages for me, so I won't actually have enough money to buy this build until after 2 months. Add the fact that I live in Finland and not the US and I'll probably be ordering some parts from different countries. The graphics card for example costs about ~900€ if I'd buy it from Finland, but if I order it from either Sweden or Amazon UK I can get the price down to ~700€. In fact, I'll probably be ordering most of the more expensive parts either from Sweden or the UK in order to keep the cost down.

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

Honestly, limiting yourself to nvidia is a poor decision. AMD gives you better performance for the dollar and in historical terms better "future proofing" (though I hate the phrase) with extra vram. Concerns with drivers are a thing of the psat (it was a problem for a single year, people seem to forget that before that they were absolutely fine), and the heat/noise issues are only the case with reference design coolers (some board partners have made their cards cooler and quieter than any available on the nvidia side). As for shadowplay, fact is AMD has already released a beta competitor to the program and what's more there's been a streaming equivalent on obs for AMD for a long while now.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I feel like in almost everyone one of your comments, someone decides to argue with you. :/

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

yeah it's pretty typical, the misinformed will amass against those who dare to buck the trend lol

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Some of them are pretty entertaining to read though!

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 72 months ago
  • 0 points

It is not an opinion, it's a simple fact. It's an opinion to prefer NVIDIA over AMD, it's a fact that you get more for your dollar from AMD. As a result, when building a computer and you have a budget, removing have the options available to you because of a personal bias is a poor decision. And this is coming from someone who has been using NVIDIA since the 5 series.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm fine with my decision to stick to NVIDIA over AMD being pure opinion. I don't really have a reason to preferring NVIDIA over AMD, but for some reason I just do. "Performance for the dollar" is not really an issue for me.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

As long as you are honest about it and saying that it's for no concrete reason fair enough. As for your build setup, I wouldn't be going for Kingston SSDs just because of the current shitstorm they're facing with the asynchronus memory switch on the v300 series. Pick up the PNY XLR8 or Crucial MX100 instead.

A WD black really isn't worth the exorbitant premium they charge, I've owned a black in my previous build (you can check it yourself the air 540 one), and the performance on it was not leaps and bounds better than the seagate barracuda.

As for the GPU, if you're set on nvidia, you have a huge budget, do yourself a favor and get the EVGA classified version for the sake of unlocked voltage and better power delivery than any other manufacturer out there meaning highest potential overclocks. Mine on GPU boost only hits 1175mhz and with some mild overclocking I've hit up to 1295mhz without adding any voltage.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry for the double posting misclicked there, I'd also ditch the noctuas. Noiseblocker eloops don't look like diarrhea and perform better than noctuas (can check my build photos to see what they look like). You can pick them up from aquatuning.us (that's where I grabbed them from). Otherwise the new Aerocool DS Dead Silence 120mm have been getting rave reviews left and right and also look great and come in other color options.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Right. Do you think 3 case fans will be enough, or should I go for 6 of them like you did?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

The Nvidia logo looks better? ;P

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

"it's a fact that you get more for your dollar from AMD"

Is also an opinion. I have had 6 AMD cards and they all stopped working and I had terrible issues and experiences with them. I switched to Nvidia and I am will to pay the premium for superior quality. So thus far, I am getting more for my dollar from Nvidia because I have been using the same card for the past 3 years whereas I went through 6 in 3 years with AMD.

What you stated was an opinion, not a fact.

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

Unfortunately, personal experience with things is also subjective. Literally EVERY NVIDIA card I've owned I've had to RMA at least once. Had windforce 580s in SLI and one decided to die, had an ASUS 690 which stopped outputting video and had to be replaced, had EVGA Titans in SLI and within the first day of receiving them one had to be replaced for a dud fan and the other had to be replaced a month later, and as it is right now when of my 780 TI classifieds needs to be replaced because the fan on it is humming loudly at certain rpms/conditions. For every one person that has a problem, there's going to be 5 that haven't for both sides.

And no, how many times do I have to say that you getting more for your dollar is not an opinion, it's simple fact. YOU GET MORE PERFORMANCE PER DOLLAR. This isn't rocket science. This is said in every review out there, and on every site. The fact that YOU have had problems in the past with AMD doesn't mean everyone has, and that it's still prevalent, it just means at a certain point in time, karma decided to bite you in the butt lol.

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

You said "you get more for your dollar with AMD" which is completely different than "you get mroe performance for your dollar"

They are two completely different things. Yes you get mroe performance per dollar with AMD, but you also can get the headaches which makes it subjective, WHICH MAKES "getting more for your dollar" a complete opinion.

Be careful with the words you choose.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Whether or not it is, what I said in my prior post is also still fact.

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

Incorrect.

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $340.29 @ TigerDirect
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler $65.04 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $209.17 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $75.66 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $79.07 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $55.03 @ NCIX US
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $55.03 @ NCIX US
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB DirectCU II Video Card $700.61 @ NCIX US
Case Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case $140.11 @ Micro Center
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $100.07 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $60.04 @ Micro Center
Monitor Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor $140.11 @ Newegg
Case Fan Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan $19.51 @ Amazon
Keyboard Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard $112.09 @ Amazon
Mouse Logitech G500 Wired Laser Mouse $72.83 @ SuperBiiz
Headphones SteelSeries Siberia v2 Headset $81.48 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2345.16

Reasoning: CPU: If you are limiting yourself to intel and you are spending $340 on a processor, minus well just get the 4790k.

CPU Cooler: You'll be fine with this one, no need for liquid cooling unless you feel like trying to achieve 5Ghz.

Mobo: Asus's ROG Hero VII is an impressive motherboard. It comes with a nice sound card, easy overclocking, impressive fan control and much more. You don't need to spend $400 on a motherboard. (You really don't even need to spend $200)

RAM: You don't need 32GB of RAM, you also don't need 16GB of RAM. Most games don't even use all 8GB of RAM. Unless you plan on movie/photo editing, compiling software, or running complex simulations, you don't need more than 8GB.

SSD: You don't need 250GB on a SSD. Most games don't take advantage of the fast features of a SSD. Only games with A LOT of loading situations should be installed on a SSD. (Games like LoL. DOTA, Ignite, etc..)

HDD: WD is a good brand, and they are currently pretty cheap.

GPU: ASUS's ROG 780 ti will work with your motherboard, plus it's with a combo deal making it a cheap option.

Case: You picked it, case is up to you honestly.

PSU: You were right, the PSU you picked was overkill, this will do just fine.

Optical Drive: If you are going to be buying one and you have the budget (which you do), just get a Blu-Ray.

Monitor: Its a nice monitor that will do just fine for you, with it's current price, you could get two for the price of the one you picked.

Fans: Fans are fine as long as you don't mind them looking like they are a product of the cold war.

The Rest: Up to your personal preference.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply. I will probably go for the 4790K instead as you suggested. The reason I decided to opt for 2 SSDs is basically that I want one SSD for the operating system and one for games, even if only certain games would benefit from the SSD. I could probably go for two ~120 GB SSDs instead of the two 256 GB that I've chosen though.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem! I'm waiting for newegg to send me mine right now lol! That is what I figured you were doing, but if it was me, I would spend less on the SSD's, get an HDD, and put the rest into the GPU.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

dude he needs 16gb's. Watch dogs 12. Games are gonna keep on using more

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

4K gaming rig for $3300:

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor $576.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $89.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard $239.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory $75.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory $75.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $214.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $99.99 @ Amazon
Video Card PNY GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card $668.27 @ Amazon
Case Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case $149.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply XFX ProSeries 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $141.99 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.99 @ Newegg
Monitor Dell P2815Q 30Hz 28.0" Monitor $554.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan $19.50 @ Amazon
Fan Controller NZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller $21.24 @ Amazon
Keyboard Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard $111.99 @ Amazon
Mouse Logitech G500s Laser Gaming Mouse Wired Laser Mouse $49.99 @ Amazon
Headphones SteelSeries Siberia v2 Headset $81.41 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $3229.29
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, but no thanks. A monitor with a max refresh rate of 30Hz is definitely out of the question.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 72 months ago
  • 0 points

Thank you, but I think I'll probably go for the build PhantomTaco picked together. :D

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

For the fans in his build, I would go with Cougar or Corsair. Don't know about Aerocool... (Both of them have LED fans available, though like I always say, you are better off getting LED strips and good fans with no lighting than anything integrated.)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by a "very fine gaming machine"? I basically want a PC that is able to run the most recent games at high to max settings with decent (~45 minimum) FPS (although I'm definitely looking to ramp up the performance as much as possible without sacrificing quality). Would I be able to achieve that with a $1600-2000 build? Keep in mind that I want an Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU.

I'll probably go for a single 8 GB stick of RAM and add more RAM further down the line in case I ever decide to go into video recording/editing.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to OC, and by how much. If I do decide to OC I take it that a liquid cooling system is to be recommended?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Right. In terms of performance does it matter if I go for something like 2400-2600, or is 1600 enough?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I got that. What I'm asking for is if the speed of the RAM matters, i.e will I notice a big difference if I get 2400 MHz, or 2600 MHz RAM instead of 1600 MHz?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube