add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$2000+ build - first ever

mrp0783
  • 72 months ago

Going to be using this for gaming, work (logging into remote pc), Adobe programs... no major video editing or anything like that. But mostly, I want the games to look insane and play smooth. This is my first build and I'm just learning about all this so any help or suggestions would be appreciated. i.e. I see a lot of people replacing the stock fans - especially the ones that come with the CPU cooler. I have no clue which ones are quietest and most effective. Thanks in advance!!!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $259.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Seidon 240M 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $74.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $137.99 @ NCIX US
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $229.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $134.99 @ Best Buy
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.99 @ Micro Center
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Dual FTW ACX Video Card $509.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case $129.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $139.99 @ Amazon
Optical Drive LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $59.99 @ Micro Center
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Monitor Asus VS278Q-P 27.0" Monitor $255.98 @ SuperBiiz
Wireless Network Adapter D-Link DWA-548 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $34.29 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2118.15

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Why not this instead?

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $339.99 @ TigerDirect
Memory G.Skill Trident X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $164.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $134.99 @ Best Buy
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.99 @ Micro Center
Video Card Asus Radeon R9 290X 4GB DirectCU II Video Card $508.00 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ Newegg
Monitor Asus VS278Q-P 27.0" Monitor $255.98 @ SuperBiiz
Wireless Network Adapter Intel 7260HMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $46.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2053.86
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

This is better, but ditch the ASUS card, it's terrible on AMD. ASUS didn't bother customizing the cooler design from the NVIDIA version, and as a result it's one of the hottest custom coolers on AMD cards.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Oops, forgot about that..

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry Im slightly confused. Isnt the cooler Cooler Master? How is that related to Asus?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

No, he meant the GPU cooler, not the CPU cooler

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't take this the wrong way, but I could care less what your friends do, they don't publish their information and reviews. To put things into perspective on the ASUS DCU2 has been one of (if not the worst) coolers on the 290x to date. As proof of that:

Hardware.info Roundup

Hexus

HardOCP

TechPowerUp

ASUS isn't at the forefront in any way on GPUs. In terms of best clocking cards out there it's always been the EVGA Classifieds and MSI Lightning's along with lately the new PCB Windforce's from Gigabyte. In terms of customer support they're all fairly close to one another with EVGA tending to pull ahead of the pack. In fact there was a MASSIVE reddit thread earlier this month I believe with people complaining about ASUS support here. I myself have had to RMA an ASUS 690, 2 Sabertooth X58's, and a Sabertooth Z77. Obviously that's anecdotal but it still shows something.

The reason why people prefer XFX and Powercolor cards are fairly simple:

XFX offers some of the best pricing available, one of the sexiest cards on the market (subjective I know but most people love it), and is the only manufacturer left that offers LIFETIME warranties.

Powercolor has emerged because their new PCS+ cooler has literally blown all of the competition away.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Im starting to lean towards the Gigabyte Z97x-sli. That board seems to have a lot of features and a good price. Can you guys let me know what to look for in a MOBO? Im clueless in this department except for the basics

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I love how people call numbers opinions. Numbers have no opinions, they're concrete. I'm not saying ASUS is a bad brand. On the NVIDIA side their cards are pretty good. But they did 0 work to the DCUII cooler when they slapped it on AMD. In fact people have taken it apart and shown this to be the case:

"The 290X DC2OC has a bit of a problem; its cooler was actually designed for the larger GK110 GPU such as the GTX 780 Ti. As we can see this from the picture below, two of the copper heat pipes don’t touch the Hawaii XT GPU at all, and moreover two others make partial contact therefore result in inefficient heat dissipation. Their competing company, Sapphire managed to solve this by putting some heat pipes that have better contact with the AMD's GPU in their Tri-X cooling solution."

source

The reason why people all go for ASUS is marketing. They're a huge company. Bigger than sapphire, bigger than evga, bigger than gigabyte, bigger than MSI, bigger than literally any gpu board partner out there. They're in a ******** of different segments and do well in them. As a result they have a lot of money to throw around at marketing, promotions, etc. As a result people think automatically if it's ASUS it must be amazing, and that is a huge fallacy in logic. Every company has good products and bad products, the 290x DCUII happens to be one of the bad ones.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Much better use of money:

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $339.99 @ TigerDirect
Memory Avexir Core series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $74.99 @ Newegg
Storage PNY XLR8 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $99.99 @ Micro Center
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card $459.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ Newegg
Monitor Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor $489.99 @ Amazon
Wireless Network Adapter Intel 7260HMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $46.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2134.86

Better graphics card, MUCH better monitor (1440p 27 inch and IPS)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

So you don't think overclocking the CPU is something worth doing at this point? I've been toying with the idea but not sure. Also the MOBO you suggested was my other choice but I picked the Asus Z97-A because of the auto overclock that people recommended. I'm having trouble deciding which one to get. And I DEFINITELY want a 780 ti - so maybe its worth scaling back so I can afford one like you suggested...

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

Couple things worth saying:

In online multiplayer games overclocking can be a boon, and especially in MMO's.

If you do emulation (IE Dolphin Wii emulation for instance), overclocking is a huge benefit

But that being said, NEVER trust auto overclocking features. They always pump a buttload of voltage into the CPU, well beyond what is needed. I have yet to see one that does it well.

For the 780TI, honestly coming from someone who owns 2 of them, you're better off getting 290x. You're getting around 95% of the performance at something like 25% less price wise. It just doesn't make sense. What's more you get a wider bit bus and more vram.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

My other choice was the FTW 780. Is that comparable to the 290x?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

The 780 is nowhere near as good as the 290x. The 290x sits above the 780, but below the 780 TI by a few percentage points.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

This one?

SAPPHIRE TRI-X OC 100361-2SR Radeon R9 290X 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube