add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My first build, looking for opinions/changes/revisions

Dobbie1
  • 72 months ago

I have been using an HP dv7 pavilion laptop for the past four years and I want to upgrade. I have been thinking about getting a desktop for some time now, in part for games (skyrim runs very slowly on my laptop, I would also like to be able to play payday 2, TF2, wargame: red dragon and other strategy games smoothly, in high settings), as well as day to day use, browsing, nothing very demanding compared to gaming.

This is what I've come up with so far: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/tMydrH

In general does this seem reasonable? Is there anything you would change or anything that looks like it could cause major issues for me in the short or long term? Should all these components be compatible?

More specially, part picker tells me that the video card will not fit, and may require the removal of drives bays/ brackets. I have no intention of ever using more than 1 HDD and 1 SSD, with this in mind should I be good case wise?

I know the processor is overkill and a 4690 or 4690K would do everything I need, but I'm under the impression that the I7 will go a long way in future proofing my computer. Should I just go with the cheaper alternative? And is it worth it to get an overclockable card? OCing doesn't really make that much sense to me as I assume that the people who work at Intel have tested and analyzed their chipsets at a range of clock speed, very intensively and have found the optimum speed to run them at, getting the best trade off (for the average user) of speed, and heat generation.

If I don't plan on OCing do I even need a cooler?

And finally, any thoughts on my GPU? It seems too good to be true, 4gb, only 240$ and very good reviews (so far) on newegg, is this the steal I think it is?

Thanks for reading, and I would love to hear your thoughts.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 3 points

The 4 GB of vRAM won't help at all unless you're playing at a resolution above 1080p. If you are playing 1080p then save yourself some money and get the 2 GB version. Most games don't even need all 2 GB

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube