add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Building Gaming PC for the first time, opinions needed!

topguythegreat
  • 72 months ago

Still need opinions on what I should change for a gaming computer! Thank you! Here are the parts: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/topguythegreat/saved/hLMwrH

I want a price range about eh 800-1100, little more is fine, but not to much.

Thank you for all the replies! Some things that I am wondering if they are ok for a gaming computer composed of those parts: The motherboard, The Memory, The fans (Will it keep cool at all times?), the CPU cooler, and anything else you see that won't work well. I believe that I got the processor and GPU correct, and good for the cost. The case should be fine, and Power supply should be fine too.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

omg i'm a n00b who just built his pc after buying parts before coming here. this website helps sooo much. what i know for sure is an intel i5 or an amd fx8350 are about as necessary as it gets for great gaming along with 8gb 1600mhz+ ram and an r9 280. boot your system with a 128gb ssd and buy a cheap 1 or 2 tb hdd and you're good to go lol. obviously more to it than that, but those are the pointers i learned.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Just added an ssd, should work better like that.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

If there is no more replies, is this selection OK?

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

This build is more logical and better in just about every possible way for roughly the same price:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $214.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $88.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $78.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $79.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.98 @ OutletPC
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Vapor-X Video Card $299.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $954.89
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmmm, is that GPU better? It has only 1 review

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

You're seriously going by the number of internet reviews a card has on pcpartpicker to justify your purchase?

It looks like this particular model was released in Spring of 2014. Check Newegg for more reviews if that helps you. I wouldn't be swayed too highly by them though. Research factual information first.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ohhh. Well I would like to stay with NVidia if that is fine with you, I know much more about them than Radeon.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I did some research on that GPU you selected and its suppose to be one of the better R9 280Xs in keeping it cool and quiet. Look up its benchmarks. Plus a few days ago new egg had it listed for $339.

(I'm a noob at building PCs so take what I said with a grain of salt. Except for the price point.)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

That is absolutely fine with me and my personal preference as well. I highly recommend an evga gtx 780 3gb. If you can't afford it, go with an evga gtx 770 2gb.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

So I thought up more on this GPU. I went with selecting it since it seems to be better for the price and performance. But apparently, the Nvidia GPU I picked is much better at keeping a steady performance, but still is lower.

So I will go with the Radeon. I won't be making a Computer for some time (2 or 1 months) and still have time to choose. I'll see what happens.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

That's fine too. Sapphire makes some good radeon cards. My second choice would be Asus.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I believe this motherboard may not be the best, I mean it is good, but it sometimes doesn't work/ doesn't work well with all processors. Any ideas?

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

Your selected processor is a locked cpu so it cant be overclocked. Choose a processor with a k after the numbers so its an unlocked one. I would suggest a psu around 500w the one you have selected now has a wattage thats too low. It can handle that system but cant be expanded what so ever.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

There you are, I changed he processor to a K and also upgraded the psu without upping the cost to much. Thank you for your reply too, how is this?

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

That doesn't really matter as much as you think it does with the latest Intel CPUs, especially if the user is new at building PCs and doesn't even know how to properly overclock.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube