add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$2k Build for 4k Resolution?

Logiic
  • 72 months ago

My budget currently is $2k but will be adding to the budget later for SLI and hopefully a full watercooling loop. I really only use it for gaming and school work but might be using it for AutoCAD or other 3D modeling programs in the future.

Hoping to eventually sell off the single GTX 770 for a stronger SLI combo when GPU's become better suited for 4K gaming as I have 2 Dell UP2414Q Monitors: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/dell-monitor-up2414q

I know there are smarter part choices in many places but I have been off the desktop building scene for a few years now due to college. Hoping you guys can help me get it sorted out And keep it running strong for at least 3 more years of college.

Here she is:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $309.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $89.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Formula ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $282.99 @ NCIX US
Memory G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $189.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $239.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card $329.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case $114.39 @ Mwave
Power Supply Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $299.99 @ NCIX US
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan $16.98 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan $16.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1941.27

I would like to keep the Red/Black theme throughout

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $309.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Formula ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $282.99 @ NCIX US
Memory G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $189.99 @ Newegg
Storage A-Data Premier Pro SP900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $119.99 @ Newegg
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card $459.99 @ NCIX US
Case Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case $114.39 @ Mwave
Power Supply Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $299.99 @ NCIX US
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1951.27

You don't need a 500gb SSD drive, since you will really only need to put your AutoCad and OS on it. SSD does almost nothing to improve gaming, other than reduce load times. I install all of my games on my 7200rpm drive and use my SSD for my OS. Using the savings from going from 500gb to 250gb, you can upgrade your GPU to the xfx double dissipation R9 290x, which is a very good version of the card. It has very solid cooling so it's ready to be crossfired without overheating problems. It is going to be at least a year before GPUs come out that can really take advantage of 4k by themselves. You might be better off buying the 290x now and just adding another one in another 3 months when the prices are hopefully even lower. $459 is the lowest I have seen any 290x for,and XFX makes quality products.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah the SSD I just threw in at 500gb because I wasn't sure what I would really need. Make sense to go for 256GB. How well do you think two 290x cards could run modern games at 4k??

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

From everything I have read, most games out now will run 4k pretty much maxed out EXCEPT for games w/poorly optimized engines (e.g., Arma III, DayZ). Battlefield 4 will definitely run 4k flawlessly with 2 290xs. I think pretty much every game coming out in the next year will run 4k just fine, but some of them you may not be able to run with the settings set to ultra in 4k. It really depends heavily on how well the game engines are optimized.

My 4k monitor and 2 R9 290xs should be here by Friday, so I can let you know how well they run my games in 4k.

At the very least, I would just downgrade the SSD and get the 290x, because it's much better than the GTX 770. Here is a side by side comparison: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2014-vga-charts/compare,3610.html?prod%5B6782%5D=on&prod%5B6797%5D=on

Even though those are reference cards, you can see there's a pretty significant FPS differential in most games, especially BF4 where Mantle comes into play.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely keep me updated on how they run. I would love to hear it

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I think most of this makes sense with the following exceptions:

No point in getting a 300 dollar motherboard. You're not going to get higher overclocks unless you're using extreme cooling. There are plenty of other red motherboards that will get you the same overclocks for half the price. I'd take a look at the Gigabyte Z97 SLI, there's a few good Asrock red boards, and the MSI Gaming 3 or 5.

16GB of 2400mhz memory isn't worth it. For gaming builds these days you can EASILY get away with 8gb of 1600mhz.

For the SSD personally to save money I'd get the PNY XLR8 to save an extra 20 bucks

The powersupply is beyond overkill, even for 2 cards. 1000w is more than adequate. Not to mention spending 300 bucks on a 1200w psu is absolutely insane. You can get a super solid evga g2 1300w for something like 150-170 gold rated full mod.

The case fans also aren't the greatest choice. Yes they're corsair, but corsair's fans are not their strong suit. Scythe Slipstreams tend to be my recommendation for airflow, and for rad fans to keep the color scheme you could either go for the new Aerocool DS Deep Silence 120mm or the Noiseblocker eLoops (which I use) in white from Aquatuning. You can also get the phobya version of them which is transparent red to match the color scheme.

With the savings from the changes suggested, you could easily get yourself a top notch 290x like the Vapor X, an MSI lightning, or a PowerColor PCS+. If you're focused on overclocking, I'd take the Vapor X or the Lightning though as they have custom pcbs with better vrms for power delivery.

EDIT: Just saw the blurb about CAD. If you MIGHT use it for CAD in the future, buy more RAM in the future.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Damn this is what I needed to hear! Really helpful, thank you. A lot of stuff i just threw in to start as a reference point. I'll definitely change up the ram and mobo and upgrade to a 290x

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

You're welcome, as a start you could use the build I put together for you below. Looking over them now I'd probably go for the second one with 2 290x from the start, and later get 2 kraken G10's and 2 clcs to throw on them as well as 2 Gelid 290/290x VRM kits.

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm not gonna hit on the CPU and RAM because I understand how intense CAD is, but you don't need 1200W PSU for 500W. Even if you anticipate the SLI, you're still looking at what, 800? I'd go for a smaller gold-cert'd PSU. that motherboard is just crazytalk; if you'd get a cheaper mobo and psu, you might be able to fudge a little for some SLI action! Good luck with that. I got that case btw, it's spacious. The motherboard sits a little high so your Cooler might lay on the CPU plug if it's situated at the top.

EDIT: Oh and the case has like 5 zip tie spots fyi. Probably only con.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I was hoping someone would hit hard on the RAM. I have no idea how big the difference is between the RAM mhz now a days. D=

And yeah I was hoping for PSU help. I went with the overkill 1200w because of sli and overclocking a lot of the parts I'm getting. Plus adding a full water cool loop in the future. Any input on that?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

If you check out my completed build, the Corsair CM850 should suffice for your needs. Or you could cut the middle man and go for a Seasonic. I'm still a novice but I would think the full water cool loop wouldn't take much power. That case has a lot of space you might be able to (customize) fit the tank inbetween the 3.5" and 5.25" drive slots. The thing is massive. Hell if you're feeling frisky, you could even take out a couple of 3.5" drive bays to fit the tank in and if that doesn't work just sit it next to the psu! (DON'T DO THAT) Either way i'm sure you'll find a spot for it and if you think you need more than 850W psu, just add an extra gpu for shnitzengiggel and look at the wattage and try to go 100W over that. Ja?

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

the extra components for a loop that require power are the extra fans and the pump. Depending on how many fans extra you're using that can be anywhere from 60-150 watts extra ish as a ballpark

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Full watercooling loop if I'm honest is entirely for looks. If you're interested in getting the performance, a clc on the CPU, 2 kraken g10s/corsair hg10s with clcs on the GPUs will get you the same overclocks and similarly low temperatures for around half the cost.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

A lot of me wanting a loop is for looks =P I love the way it looks

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

The Kraken route is by no means bad looking, though I will definitely admit custom water does look a bit better. Having done both ways, I personally would stick with the clc route because it means no maintenance, MUCH easier to set up, and a buttload cheaper. A single 290x waterblock costs something like 100 bucks, which is enough to get a kraken g10 and a clc to go with it. Meanwhile with custom water yuou'd still need the radiator, tubing, fittings, pump, reservoir, and fans.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you think you'd sli/crossfire now, or are you planning to wait for a stronger card? If you aren't going to sli/crossfire now, that build looks good.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

No I don't have the money now to SLI/CF. I will definitely in the future though. My big problem now is either going with a cheap solid card and waiting, or buying a high end nice card and adding SLI/CF later.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

290's aren't much better than 280X's and 280X's are just a hair better than 280's. get 2 280's. you'll get your performance for years to come. Not happy with it? get a third lol.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

280s for 4k is a terrible idea. And at 4k the difference between a 280 and a 290 at 4k is BIG, like over 25% big source

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

On a $2k build, 2 280's (un-x) would suffice for 4K. I mean, you could get garbage CPU, cooler, hdd, and case, and buy a 295x2 or a titan, but then it'd be pointless. 290 or 290X would be almost as hard to squeeze in a $2k build that will sufficiently run 4k res. 2 280's would do better than a 290X in terms of munnies, imo.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Take a look at the build I just suggested. I could EASILY fit 2 290s into a 2k build. Heck I could probably squeeze 2 290x into there as well, but instead I'm focused on giving the option for a 290x that has better vrms to give higher potential overclocks when put under water.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Well the new 800 series isn't coming out for awhile (I think most of the cards come out early next year) and AMD might be waiting for nvidia to try something first. I also heard the 800 series won't be a big step up because of the newer architecture although it should be more efficient. For 4k, I'd say go for 290 CF, 290x CF, 780 SLI (although the 290s would be better), or 780 TI SLI if you have the money.

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

My personal suggestion:

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $339.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $128.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $76.99 @ Newegg
Storage PNY XLR8 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $99.99 @ Micro Center
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 4GB Vapor-X Video Card $619.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case $129.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 1300W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $149.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1685.91

So a rundown part by part

CPU: Supposedly better overclocking than the 4770k, comes stock 4ghz with 4.4ghz turbo boost, slightly lower temperature wise than a 4770k.

CPU Cooler: Just a standard option, if you're going to go to custom loop later maybe just get a 212 evo for now though.

Motherboard: Solid performer, matches the color scheme of the GPU, not too expensive while supporting crossfire

RAM: I know you said you might use it for AutoCAD in the future, but until that comes 8gb is plenty, and when you start doing it, you could add another 8gb

SSD: Cheap, great performer, enough said.

GPU: Probably the best or second best overall 290x available (second to only the lightning, which is like 100 more). Reworked PCB with more/higher quality VRMs for cleaner power delivery, great cooler, sexy backplate (seriously, check it out).

Case: Went to full tower because if you plan to liquid cool you're going to want a larger case to house the reservoir, pump, and radiators.

Powersupply: MUCH cheaper, more wattage, and still very highly rated, win win

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

Replying to myself, a new low lmao.

As an alternative you could get 2 290x now by going 60 bucks ish over budget:

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $339.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $128.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $76.99 @ Newegg
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $499.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $499.99 @ NCIX US
Case Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case $129.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 1300W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $149.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2065.90

These 290x might not overclock AS HIGH as the Vapor X, but the performance difference between them when both have been overclocked will not be very big, probably under 5% as an estimate.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

This build looks pretty perfect for what i want actually. Though I will just start off with 16gb for CAD purposes. And how are Radeon cards? I had one in the past and had so many problems with it. That's why i had wanted a NVidia

Anyone else have thoughts on this build? I also might upgrade the ssd too 500gb and drop the 1tb

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

The Corsair H105 fits pretty well in the Corsair mid towers.

You'd have to give up the top 5.25" drive slot though i think...

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

If you wanted you could drop down to a cheaper mid tower case and for the watercooling down the line go the route of clcs with kraken g10's. As a result you'd only need to get 2 h55s/h75s for the gpus and two krakens for them, taking up 2 fan slots on the case. The other 2 fan slots up top would already be taken by the clc for the cpu. To lower the budget further you could also get a cheaper motherboard like the ASRock z97 Pro4 to save about 30 bucks.

As for a case recommendation, you could go super cheap but still decent with an NZXT Source 210 Elite (45-47 bucks) or midrange and get a Corsair 230T, or for something slightly more premium a Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 for 90 bucks.

Those changes would save you anywhere from 60-120 bucks.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

This is my new build based of the one you had provided me. I changed up a few things to what I liked and that fit my black/red theme. I did go over $2k which is why i might ditch the 2nd GPU for a few months. I really wanted to hear some input on the Motherboard. I love the look of the Asus/MSI gaming motherboards but don't know which one I need. I do want to have support for up to 3 Gpus if in the future I decided to jump on that.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $339.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $100.00 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $208.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory $94.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.91 @ OutletPC
Case NZXT H440 (Red/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $117.39 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2164.23
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

None of those motherboards will let you run 3 gpus in the future. The only z97 motherboard that would allow you to do that in the future that fits your color scheme is this one

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97xgamingg1wifibk

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube