add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Window 7 OPS Question

rwbil
  • 72 months ago

This is the first time I have built a computer from scratch. I am a bit confused on which OPS I need. I want to go with Window 7 64 Bit. First my simple question. Any suggestion of Home, Ultra or Profession? I am mostly doing graphics and video editing.

Now the tougher question. Being this is a new build there is no windows already installed and I do not want to buy the full version. I see OEM on EBAY for sale. I also see some that say for refurbished PCs. I am a bit confused in this area. Can someone explain which Window 7 one needs to buy to install without a previous version of windows already installed. Sorry for the Noob question.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

OEM version. I have the 64 bit home premium. It suits me well. I don't know about the graphics and video editing part of the OS... thought that was from the GPU? I bought mine off of Amazon and it worked good!!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I have win7 pro the biggest difference for me between 7 pro and home is the copy of Windows XP Professional that you get with 7 pro and a virtual machine to run it witch is not included with Windows 7 Home. You could run VirtualBox and put XP on it and you would have the same thing going on but with Home edition which I feel is a better virtual machine anyway. As for the second question the license is the only thing different between the OEM version and full version. OEM (original equipment manufacturer) is the same as a system bullder version and it is ment to be installed on a new build and sold with the computer. The OEM is then responsible for support not Microsoft that's is why its cheaper then a full retail version since that would be supported by Microsoft and not the OEM or the computer store. This is my understanding so in less your going to build a new rig and sell it there is only one legit copy a full retail version comes in a box does not say system builder version or OEM. But there is nothing stopping you from installing a never used new OEM version on your computer but if you call Microsoft for support you will have to pay them to help you. I am no expert so I could be wrong this is just my experience.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point
  • Comparison chart
  • Since you mentioned editing, Home Premium version supports maximum of 16GB. The Professional/Ultimate/Enteprise support 192GB.
  • OEM version is usually cheapest but note that legally, it is tied to the mobo it is installed on. No transfers.
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

OEM is fine for a new build it is what I ysed on my system (but I went with 8.1). I would recommend Pro as it allows more ram useage.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube