add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Assist and recommendations with builds

poesraven1845
  • 72 months ago

First the link to my parts list.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/poesraven1845/saved/#savedbuild_1204396

CASE: http://lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/dk-02/

So I have not built a PC in over ten years now. I know many things have changed and some things are shockingly still the same. This came up when I was looking to both build a computer as well as needed a new computer desk as I was redecorating my office at home.

The first thing I came across was the Desk/chassis http://lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/dk-02/ using this desk/Chassis I decided I wanted to build two separate machines. The reason for this post is I feel I may have gone way overboard with the builds I priced and as such I am looking for peoples opinions on where i can cut back and trim fat and why. I look forward to hearing people's thoughts.

***Machine One (The E-ATX Motherboard) will be used for the following purposes:

1) Gaming: Primarily using Steam and sticking more to RTS and TBS games with the occasional FPS game.

a) The gaming rig is the reason for the 8 SSD drives as I plan to run them in a RAID Configuration
      b) This was why I decided to go with Dual SLI Graphic Cards, however I thought about going 3-way SLI.

2) AUTO-CAD: I have a map and dungeon building software that utilizes AUTO-CAD as its base. Some of these Maps can be very large but I will not be doing any 3D rendering.

3) Photoshop/Lightroom: I am aware that for most of these applications the argument is Mac > PC but really with Adobe its more an issue of hardware than anything, since the software doesn't work that much differently between the two according to the guy I spoke with at Adobe. For those Photography buffs I am looking at getting into HDR and more editing than I currently am doing.

a) Due to the critical nature of the Photoshop & CAD Files I want to have Disk Redundancy while still having adequate speed. Currently I have over 1.8 TBs of Photos and CAD drawings and shoot with a Canon 5D Mark III camera shooting RAW (for those who understand the average photo size) During a given photo-shoot I will shoot around 500 images, keep about 100 and edit about 25. Because of the need for a faster read and a moderate write I decided to go with a RAID 10 over a RAID 5 for the four HDDs that will hold my Photo and CAD drawings.

***Machine 2: Mini-ITX

This machine will serve the following purposes

1) Media center for streaming movies, videos, and music to my TV and also remotely to my tablet when I am away on business. a) MB has on-board video, and I am not running games, hence no graphics card.

2) Internet surfing, Netflix, HULU, Coke & Popcorn, email, etc.

3) Torrenting, Streaming, etc.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

What map and dungeon building software do you use?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I use Pro-Fantasy CC3 Pro, Fractal Terrains, DD3 Pro, CD3 Pro.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

FYI: you need to click reply below the comment you are replying to so that person gets notified. I just happened to check this page and saw your comment.

Those looks pretty cool. Are they easy to use?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks I did not even notice the reply button. They took a little getting used to. I know they are based of a CAD like engine and sometimes the Snap feature on the older version was a hassle. Overall though I was very pleased with the software. It was used primarily for my D&D and Pathfinder worlds. I also have used it for Saloons when running Deadlands and for making cities. It is really worth it if you do a lot of Table Top RPGs. However I am more curious if my builds are overkill or right for the necessity?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't really know a lot about the really technical stuff, but SSDs are already fast and I don't know if RAID would justify the additional cost. I just don't know that much. What about if you get one SSD for the OS and another one for your programs (and use a HDD for data storage)? Try it out and if it's not fast enough you could go to the RAID setup. It just seems like it might be an unnecessary expense, but if money isn't a problem for you that's your call. The MOBO is really expensive. Are you going to take advantage what you are paying for? Maybe think about one high end graphics card and see if it's good enough like this new one coming out soon that will probably be under $600.00: http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rid=515337 You could then add a second one later on when prices come down a bit.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube