add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Optimal fan positioning for a Corsair 500R?

ZanDricaPC

66 months ago

I've recently received my Corsair 500R for my upcoming build, however I'm not too sure how to position the fans I'm getting with it. I know for sure the top fans will be intake, as well as the front, but I'm still a little confused with the side panel mesh. I have the fans in there for intake, but would it be optimal to use it otherwise? Will be paired with an NZXT HAVIK 140.

Comments

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Included:

2x front 120mm = intake

1x rear 120mm = exhaust

1x side 200mm = intake

The case allows up to 10 total mount locations (8 if including the 200mm), but I would only advise adding two more 140mm LED fans to the top for an exhaust.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

The top, bottom, and front include filters, however the side does not. Not sure if that would impact what fans are for intake. I have 2 120MM fans rather than the 200MM(not a fan of the white LED)

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

You want cool air to intake front the bottom front and flow unobstructed to the top rear for exhaust. Since heat rises, this is the most logical fan setup and is frequently echoed by many veterans. You don't want too many high cfm fans or too many fans in the center of the case. This can negate your goals of optimal cooling. I don't like side fans too much in my builds, but if I were to use one, it would be a 200mm fan with lower cfm. I would rather position my aftermarket CPU fan blowing down toward the GPU and have the side fan exhausting all of that heat. It's much more logical.

• 66 months ago
  • 0 points

If you'r gpu is not a reference design (read: blower) cooler, then setting the side panel to exhaust is normally better than intake.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube