add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$900 PC for Research and Gaming

optoabhi
  • 72 months ago

Hello everyone,

This is my first PC build and I need some advise if my choice of parts is correct. After your valuable advise I would find suitable options and go to microcenter to purchase the items. The earlier the better.

main use: Gaming, Run Photoshop and research softwares like matlab calculations smoothly.

If there is anything to be changed among the parts or configure it in a different manner; such as possibility of a bottleneck or thermal control situation (change cooler) etc. Please do advise how I should change it appropriately.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor $174.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $108.58 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock 990FX Extreme9 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $169.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $99.12 @ NCIX US
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card $324.99 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT H440 (Green/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $119.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1047.65

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

Here is a changed version with, its cheaper and faster in some ways, you can keep the 770 if you want for the higher clock speed. I also gave you a 1 tb hardrive

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HWJ3mG

edit slightly cheaper really the same price

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you. The config looks great. What if I cant find the XFX version of R280 tomorrow at microcenter ? Would saphire or EVGA do the same ? Which one would you go for a solid and guaranteed build?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I really wouldn't be able to tell you, I usually order parts. Sapphire does make R280's but they seem more expensive so you might get the bad end of the stick.

Regarding which one i would go for? For me it would be the 280x as it isn't that much of a speed difference from the 770 and has increased memory. Though some people prefer Nvidia cards over Radeon

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean what would you prefer among, EVGA, Saphire, XFX etc. I will go with the 280x like you said anyway.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

EVGA makes some boss graphics cards, but they dont dwell in the radeon area. Mainly Nvidia (but they are great) If money wasn't a problem for me i would definitley go EVGA, Asus isn't bad and i haven't looked much into Sapphire cards. XFX in my opinion is kinda like the brother of EVGA in Radeon, worse but it's still up there. Asus and gigabyte i would rate slightly above XFX because they are larger brands

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Also with this build you should be running games like a boss, 1080p on ultra ;)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

EVGA and XFX has excellent graphics cards.

I modified Marximus' build. If you really want that case, then it'll be about $50 over $1000. muhh. even a cheaper case would put you at $1000. Might wanna consider a lower graphics card to fit the $900 budget

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/vikingXcore/saved/X466Mp

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

If it helps here is my current build that i will be creating in july

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dM4LwP

This is even with a monitor and keyboard which you don't need if you already have them

Also viking you forgot to remove the old cooler, putting it $100 over what it needs to be :P

here it is without it :D

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PdMWBm

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

It really doesn't matter if its over $50.00 as I am looking to build a PC with future proof (performance matters more than aesthetics).

With NZXT H440 case, I am still wondering how can we install the OS without the CD drive.

And secondly, why have you included two coolers ?

1. Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  2. Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

i was recommended to get the fx 8320 as the 8350 is just a factory overclocked version and it is easier to get 8320 and overclock it

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r9280xtdbd

also this graphics card has more memory but a slower clock speed.Its up to you to choose (alot cheaper also)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you give me a relation between the memory -> Clock speed.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Well im relatively new to this as well but this is how i see it.

Clock speed= how fast the processor/gpu is going to run. Also can be overclocked

Memory= Well its kinda like ram but with Graphics, if that makes sense to you. it wouldn't necessarily make your card "faster" but it does make a difference

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube