add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Jonstn
  • 72 months ago

:Edit: Started getting parts should start building it in the next 2 weeks, here's the final list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For $279.00
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler Purchased For $46.00
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard Purchased For $205.00
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $99.00
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $157.00
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $127.00
Video Card Gainward GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card Purchased For $355.00
Case BitFenix Phenom M Midnight Black MicroATX Mini Tower Case $95.00
Power Supply Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $115.00
Case Fan Noctua NF-S12A FLX 120mm Fan $25.00
Case Fan Noctua NF-A14 FLX 68.0 CFM 140mm Fan $28.00
Other Windows 8.1 Retail $129.00
Other AVerMedia C027 DarkCrystal HD Capture Pro PCI-E Capture Card $89.00
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1824.00

What you all think? Not sure if I'm going overkill on the fans, it's a small case so I figure the more airflow the better, last week bitfenix brought out a vented side panel for the phenom case so will jump on that once i can find somewhere to buy it.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor $185.00 @ Mwave Australia
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $39.00 @ Mwave Australia
Motherboard Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $149.00 @ PCCaseGear
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $105.00 @ Mwave Australia
Storage Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $139.00 @ PCCaseGear
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $129.00 @ PCCaseGear
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card $299.00 @ PCCaseGear
Case NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $159.00 @ CPL Online
Power Supply XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $189.00 @ PLE Computers
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $115.00 @ CPL Online
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1508.00

CPU: Where to start, 8-cores for pushing any video/music encoding you could ever want (makes a difference when encoding), and based on FX-8xxx series there agriculture in their processors allow them to use the extra cores when gaming (only 4 cores are used in games) as buffers to expand the capabilities of each core individually. That said i5 is still better for gaming, but not for multimedia.

CPU Cooler: I chose the Evo, cause you get better performance with it, and its actually really quiet for a air cooler.

Motherboard: Micro-ATX? Might as well get a short-term board (personally based opinion), I never liked them, plus you can't crossfire on a Micro-ATX. This full size ATX board is a realize durable board.

Memory: 8GB is perfect, just changed the memory to match the motherboard and its color.

Storage: You don't need that big of storage for that price, I got you a better deal.

Video Card: The 280 will out perform the 760 any day of the week. More bang for your buck. Check around I thought a couple of these came with WatchDogs as well (amazing game btw you'll love it)

Case: If you're not using optical bays then this case will be perfect to keep everything cool.

Power Supply: Fully modular 750 Watt, XFX (Re-branded SeaSonic), to help you crossfire in the future without upgrading and to help with cable management...

Any questions feel free to PM me or just ask.. :)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Sweet thanks for the help! Looking at the mATX board description it was saying it supports crossfireX and quad, doesn't support sli but the z87 chipset mATX boards do but they're about $180.

May I ask why mATX boards are no good? I'm pretty keen on a low form case, it'll be sitting on a cabinet next to the tv, there's no size restrictions just prefer a LFF over a tower for this, there is the Coolermaster HAF XB that's a low form while being able to fit a full atx mobo ($115 http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-rc902xbkkn1)

Hadn't even thought of going AMD chipset the prices look good enough thanks for pointing that out :)

Thanks for the tips on the GPU too, wasn't too sure on how much I'd need so that's good.

Are the Kingston SSDnow's good? I've heard mixed things about them, everyone seems to rave about the EVO so didn't mind paying an extra $30 for extra 10gig and performance.

Anything else you can think of let me know :) thanks again!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

The EVO is better, I've owned both, I've never ever had a problem with the V200/V300 series from Kingston (I've owned about 5 of them). MicroATX boards are good, but I just personally don't like them, the heat is greater since its not as spread out, and there isn't alot of functionality for them depending on what your trying to do. For a HTPC there great, but I still recommend a Mini-ITX over MicroATX. AMD will dominate Intel in multimedia hands down (assuming you use a program like mediamonkey or winamp which can actually use all 8 cores).

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome cheers was originally looking at the EVO too but decided to try and size down, might have to go back to that and a atx mobo but with AMD chipset this time.

Some places won't let you buy an OEM version of windows unless you're buying everything from them, can't find the processor on CPL and it's the only supplier for 8.1 OEM :( would it be easier just to get my parts from everywhere and buy a retail windows? Or do places sell OEM's on their own?

:edit: forget that first bit I brain farted and thought you were talking about the EVO version of the Coolermaster case.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Type Item Price
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $89.98

or

Type Item Price
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) $109.99 @ NCIX US
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $109.99

honestly I would just spend the little extra money and order the disc cause it comes with x32/x64 both, and on top of that if you get rid of this system down the road you can reinstall it on your new system, OEM are tied to the motherboard as soon as you install them, install then you can never install it again.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you're confusing mATX with mITX. mATX can support an SLI/Xfire config, where as mITX can't.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I know mATX, but mITX are usually alot more reliable. Like I said personal preference, I'm not saying there bad, just saying I don't like them.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

What do you mean reliable? Form factor has nothing to do with build quality or reliability. Also, you stated above that mATX doesn't support crossfire, which is blatantly untrue.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

And as I stated above multiple times...It's a personal opinion, end of discussion, don't take other people's personal opinions so seriously. I just plain don't like MATX.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Personal opinion has nothing to do with the fact that mATX boards DO support crossfire.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I can do better, you sound like me your a media freak lol +1 to you lol

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok I've had a do over of the list, can get everything but 2 parts from my local, this look ok? I tried to get as much as I could locally to cut out postage, then get the rest from 1 vendor to save on postage and there's a full copy of windows 8.1 on ebay.

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor $179.00
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $37.00
Motherboard Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $156.00
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $105.00 @ CPL Online
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $157.00
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $127.00
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card $299.00
Case Cooler Master HAF XB EVO ATX Desktop Case $135.00 @ CPL Online
Power Supply Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $189.00
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1384.00
Shipping- $36.20
Windows- $139
Total-$1559.20

The GPU and PSU are different to what you posted derektkd456 but they seem to be on par?

Any other tips are greatly appreciated too :) thanks!!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube