add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is my windows key legit?

sacSONE
  • 72 months ago

I purchased a Windows 8.1 pro key from a legit website.. But from their marketplace where other sellers sell stuff.. I was able to create a USB installer but will be installing it later when I build my PC.

Is there any way to tell if the key I bought is legit and works?

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Where did you buy with key from? like what was the name of the site

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

g2a

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

It's less a question of whether the key is legit and more a question if you legally own the license for Windows. That question hinges on whether you got a CoA, and also if you bought it from a licensed reseller. If the question to both is no, there is a possibility you do still legally own a license but I'd guess it's slim.

I'll assume you haven't fulfilled the above. You can call the MS CSRs and answer the question. But the best way is to just attempt to activate Windows. Since the servers allow typically multiple activations for each key, you won't know if the key was sold to several people. But the activations reset over time, and with luck you won't have to reactivate anyway, so at this point probably just roll with it if it activates. If it doesn't activate, immediately ask for a refund.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube