add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Advice needed - sorry if answer is obvious but this is my 1st build

Timd123
  • 72 months ago

Hi, As this is my 1st build I could do with some advice before buying parts. I intend to get the following and just need to know if this would work considering the cases inbuilt psu is just 600w and although part picker says the total watt for all components is less than this the graphics card description alone says minimum psu 600watts so this had me confused. Also any other suggestions appreciated although i have already brought the case, mother board, ram and ssd. http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Timd123/saved/Zr97YJ

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi! * CPU looks very nice however I won't say much (I'm a bit a AMD-boy and never had intel) only that if you will O/C in the future go for model with "K" on the end of series name (like i7 4790K) because is unlocked. But O/C in that tower case and stock cooler... nay. * RAM I would go for one with CAS at least 9, not 11 like yours (less= better) and I'm not sure is point to have DDR3-2400 cause this CPU will support DDR3-1333 or DDR3-1600 (still will work but won't use whole potential. So I would go for this instead: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-memory-khx16c9t3k28x

• Storage: SSD for system great thing but get yourself a standard HDD as well. 120GB nowadays is nothing.

And really??? Mini tower (and mobo)??? No room for upgrade. And if it will turn out that CPU is to hot won't be much room for aftermarket cooler as well (like this one: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/noctua_nh_d14_review,2.html ;))

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for advice, my main goal for this is that im after a small gaming pc (reason for small case). Im not too fussed about upgrading in future although i want i7 just because i noticed some games require that now as minimum. No plans to o/c either to be honest as i realise with this case heat could be an issue. I have to admit i only really got that ram because it was ridiculously cheap (about £35) and now has double in price. Would i be better to sell that ram and buy similar to the memory you suggested or is it worth keeping? Do u think that graphics card would work in this build?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think selling RAM is necessary. It will work and you might not get enough money to buy new one. Graphics card will be brilliant! I've been ATI-boy all my life and on sudden I've bought EVGA GTX 770SC and I'm more than happy so GTX780 will be even better. Right, about power supply. I've got AMD FX8320 (101,56W) and GTX770 (250W) = 351,56W and I've got 500W PSU and it works fine (even O/C-ed) You will have i7 (68,25W) and GTX780 (250W as well) = 318,25W. 33,31W less power consumption and 100W more on PSU. No worries than but I would go for case without PSU and get decent one with seperate PCI-E output (at least 2x 6+2-pin) and gold rate of course (like http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-120pg0650gr). But since You've got PSU already no need buy another one.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Cheers thats great help ill give it all a go, yeh graphics card seems great quite pricey but hopefully worth it :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube