- 71 months ago
First I wanted to thanks the community. I spent quite a lot of time here and it has helped me to refine my build.
It was supposed to be a sub $1000 rig but I finally decided to spend a bit more. I would like to decrease the current price tag without altering significantly the performance.
This machine will be used as a development machine (Visual Studio, SQL Server...) and a gaming rig (Skyrim, Dota 2, L4D2 and Borderlands 2 for the moment). I also browse Internet a lot (reading blogs), watch some videos on Pluralsight and some movies from time to time. I work on very big code bases so a fast CPU, lots of memory and SSD are a must.
- I went with the i5-4690 instead of the i5-4670k as it's slightly faster, cheaper and I'm no planning on overclocking.
- I need at least 16GB of memory.
- I would have loved to get a 500 GB SSD and store everything on it but the price difference is too big compared to the total budget (AUD 190)
- The R9 270X definitely seems to be the best value card (I spent a lot of time comparing benchmarks). I know I won't be able to get an impressive framerate on modern games but I rarely play brand new games and I'm willing to decrease the settings a bit in order to have a better experience.
- I think the motherboard is too expansive but at the same time the Z97 chipset brings a lot to the table.
- I'm planning on buying the Corsair CX600v3 Bronze 600W but PCPartPicker didn't have it
I would like the build to be as quiet as possible, this is why I selected the Corsair H60. I'm don't know how quiet the Corsair 200R will be.
I decided to start will only one monitor to save some money. I'm planning on going for a 1920 x 1080 24" TN with a sub 5 ms response time as my gaming screen and add a 4K (depending of the price) next year as my dev / internet screen. The BenQ RL2455HM seems like a good choice but the 144Hz BenQ XL2411T is tempting (even though I won't get this kind of framerate with my GPU it would be still be more comfortable in desktop usage). The IPS AOC i2367Fh is also an option as it has much better colors.