add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My First Build- Good Gaming System??

SniperBoys1900
  • 72 months ago

I'm brand new to computer building and want all of the feedback I can get. Please Comment and give me as much feedback as possible. Thank you for your feedback.

Build: (Updated) http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CyrZzy

Everything in the description in the parts list link is old and outdated.

I plan on over clocking, but not a ton. This is a straight gaming build ONLY!!!!

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

You may not need the 500 GB on the SSD, that is a little to much. Maybe hit it down a bit- like 120 GB or so, and it will save you some money too. Unless you plan on putting things on it or something, but I wonder why since you have the HDD.

Wow man. That processor is high grade compared to that video card. If you don't plan on overclocking much, you may want to think of getting a i5 or so, not much of a downgrade at all. But that is your choice, the i7 is worth it if you want to pay that amount, but I would go for a i5, much cheaper, and not that much worse. I am not an expert at building, so don't take this to seriously.

Man monitors are expensive as hell. Keep that monitor though, it has a good rating it looks like.

Oh and the link doesn't work. Put a space between the Build: and the link, that should fix it.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I will probably keep the i7-4790k, but I may drop the ssd down to a 250 or so or maybe just drop the hdd. Thanks for the Feedback. Also, I fixed the link thanks

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Oohh don't drop that HDD. Keep the HDD, since you should boot from the SSD. Trust me, booting from the SSD and saving files on the SSD is a waste of money. HDD will be fast for storing files.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

It looks great so far, but I'd swap the memory out for something cheaper.

Drop the SSD size to 250GB and pick up a 3TB HDD instead.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I am going to drop the ssd to 250gb but I'm sticking with a 1tb hdd thanks though

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

You don't need that CPU cooler since you said you wouldn't be over clocking, you could save about $70 and get a cooler master or something of the sort.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

You're spending too much on the CPU, CPU cooling, and motherboard and not enough on your GPU. This build will perform much better and is a few hundred dollars cheaper.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $187.98 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $69.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $256.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card $485.99 @ Amazon
Case Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.98 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.99 @ NCIX US
Monitor Asus VX228H 60Hz 21.5" Monitor $129.99 @ Newegg
Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $29.99 @ Amazon
Other SAMSUNG USB 2.0 Ultra Portable External DVD Writer Model SE-218CB/RSBS $29.99
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1470.88

Primary components:

Graphics card: The best I could fit into your budget. Feel free to substitute for the more expensive 780 Ti, especially if you play a lot of PhysX games.

Power supply: SeaSonic is a great brand. 650W is more than enough.

Secondary components:

CPU: Won't bottleneck the graphics card and will last a couple* 2.5 year graphics card upgrades.

RAM: Name brand, cheap, CAS 9, 1600 MHz, 1.5V. RAM is RAM.

Motherboard: All solid capacitors and name brand. Feel free to substitute it for a similar one by MSI, Gigabyte, etc.

* Probably 2 upgrades, not 3, but OCing the CPU wouldn't get you 3 either.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

This user stated that he wants it for video editing, a 4460 will only hinder him.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

The subject/description read:

My First Build- Good Gaming System??

I'm brand new to computer building and want all of the feedback I can get. Please Comment and give me as much feedback as possible. Thank you for your feedback.

I think you replied to the wrong post.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Nope. If you actually read the PCPP link, he states that in there.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/SniperBoys1900/saved/MnyV3C

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

I did write that in there originally when I started designing this system (about a month ago) but now it's all gaming

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

You should drop it down to a 4690k then and get yourself a mild OC.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

The description and thread that he made after that build contradicts that.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Pedantics

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I may drop to a i5-4690k, but I won't drop lower. If I do I will go up to a Gtx 780, but that's it thanks

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

do the 780. You wont regret it ;)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

You can get a 780 Ti if you don't overclock the CPU. The r9 290x is a better deal, but if you want NVidia this will be just as good in most games and be better in PhysX games.

However, the difference between a 780 and 780 Ti is minimal. As is the difference between an r9 290 and r9 290x. The best option might be to go with the build above but use a 780 or r9 290 and pocket the money for a GPU upgrade in a few years.

Based off s5299's build:

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.98 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $69.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $73.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $135.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card $629.99 @ Amazon
Case Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $74.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.99 @ NCIX US
Monitor Asus VX228H 60Hz 21.5" Monitor $129.99 @ Newegg
Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $29.99 @ Amazon
Other SAMSUNG USB 2.0 Ultra Portable External DVD Writer Model SE-218CB/RSBS $29.99
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1629.87
Primary components:

Graphics card: The best that would fit with your budget. If you want to spend more, go with the r9 290.

Power supply: Replaced it with a SeaSonic since they're really reliable and I don't know what manufacturer made the EVGA one. A 550 W SeaSonic would be fine too.

Secondary components:

CPU: Won't bottleneck the graphics card and will last a couple* 2.5 year graphics card upgrades.

RAM: Name brand, cheap, CAS 9, 1600 MHz, 1.5V. RAM is RAM.

Motherboard: All solid capacitors and name brand. Feel free to substitute it for a similar one by MSI, Gigabyte, etc. Small motherboards can be annoying, especially when the PCI/PCI-e slots block the GPU 16x slot, so you might want to spend a little more for a full ATX.

* Probably 2 upgrades, not 3, but OCing the CPU wouldn't get you 3 either.

[comment deleted]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Always pair memory (2x)to make use of the 128b instead of the 1x 64bit. Also you could compare the MSI gaming Z87 motherboard to the z97. That would drop your cost another $30. Also that i5-4690k should be more then efficient and its unlocked which will make use of your cooling if you want to OC it to get it in par with that I7

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $239.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $96.28 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI Z97M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $165.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $79.16 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $148.73 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $58.83 @ NCIX US
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked Video Card $555.31 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $96.28 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $95.57 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $96.28 @ NCIX US
Monitor Asus VX228H 60Hz 21.5" Monitor $129.08 @ Newegg
Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $32.08 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1825.23
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok I went with the same brand and type except 2 x 4GB, leaving me room to upgrade later thanks

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

pretty good. i'd go with a cheaper cpu/mobo combo and get 1866 or 2133mhz 8gb ram. other than that i haven't found any problems. If you want a true experience in the world of first time pc building (complete with facepalm action), check out my completed build. I could have saved sooo much. and give you insight on parts. Heck you should click on your parts and see if there are completed builds that use those parts and see what everyone else thought of those parts.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube