add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

A PC build with AMD or Intel CPU?

TheSirStoic
  • 71 months ago

I'm not sure in terms of the Cpu, which would be better for gaming, Photoshop stuff such as photo editing / digital painting, and Illustrator

I made two builds, one that has an AMD CPU and the other Intel. Both are pretty much the same just with different CPU and Mobo

*AMD version- http://pcpartpicker.com/user/TheSirStoic/saved/cqYLrH

*Intel version- http://pcpartpicker.com/user/TheSirStoic/saved/8syV3C

So the question, Is there any significant difference between these two cpu's besides price? If Intel is better by a good margin, would you spend the extra money for that build version?

My budget is $1250..... so going with intel would put me over budget when i add windows 8.1

If you got any info on this stuff, then please go ahead and help me out. If you think my build sucks then drop a comment. :D

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Neither. :P

Even a non-OC'd i5 will last more GPU upgrades before bottlenecking than the AMD. I'd go with an i5-4xxx non-k and a better graphics card.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

do you have any recommendations for a GPU?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

r9 290x:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $187.98 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $69.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $73.99 @ Newegg
Storage A-Data Premier Pro SP600 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $64.99 @ TigerDirect
Storage Western Digital WD Blue 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $67.98 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card $485.99 @ Amazon
Case Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case $94.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply SeaSonic G-750 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $114.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan Aerocool DS 120mm Blue 81.5 CFM 120mm Fan $18.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan Aerocool DS 140mm Blue 93.4 CFM 140mm Fan $20.99 @ Newegg
Other LOGISYS Computer CLK12BL2 12" DUAL COLD CATHODE KIT - OEM $7.99
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1271.84

Primary components:

GPU: As good or slightly better than the 780 Ti but much cheaper.

Power supply: 650 W is probably be fine, but the 750 W is only $15 more. It gives you more room if you keep this build for a long time since power supplies lose output over time.

Secondary components:

CPU: It won't bottleneck your graphics card for two ~2.5 year upgrade cycles.

RAM: Cheapest 1600 MHz, 1.5 V, CAS 9 brand name I could find. RAM is RAM.

Motherboard: All solid capacitors (as opposed to a single "solid CPU capacitor"), brand name. You could easily substitute it for an MSI, Gigabyte, etc.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

hmm interesting... is there a blue version of that mobo? forgot to mention i was going witha blue theme hahah

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

The 290X is a joke of a GPU. It's 2% faster than it's $100 cheaper alternative the R9 290, there is literally no reason to buy it. The only difference is some shader units. With that extra 100 you could easily get a better CPU with that extra money saved.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

That's 2% more performance than spending it on a better CPU will give him: The extra CPU power will give him no performance boost.

A 290 and putting the $100 toward a future GPU upgrade might be the best option.

• 71 months ago
  • -1 points

Orrrrr, he could get a Xeon E3 1230v3 instead of that i5 and get about 30% more performance in all video editing, photo editing, and multitasking applications..

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

The intel CPU is a whole lot better, especially for the tasks you're doing. But if you are gonna concentrate on workstation loads, ditch Intels i5 series and grab a Xeon E3 1230v3. It's pretty much an i7 without an IGPU, or the ability to OC. It costs as much as an i5 though. It's quite wonderful. And for the GPU, if you're doing a lot of work in the Adobe Suite grab an Nvidia GPU, Adobe loves dem CUDA Cores. Here, I'll make you a build within budget + OS in a few minutes. I'll use yours as a template.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

looking forward to this :D

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh man, this was a challenging one. It was pretty obvious you're going for an entire blue color scheme/look here, and that $100 worth of fans made it pretty hard to stay under budget, so I went over just a tad.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $249.98 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $59.99 @ Micro Center
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H87M-HD3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $78.24 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $78.99 @ Newegg
Storage A-Data Premier Pro SP600 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $64.99 @ TigerDirect
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.91 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card $324.98 @ SuperBiiz
Case Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case $84.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Aerocool DS 120mm Blue 81.5 CFM 120mm Fan $18.99 @ Newegg
Other LOGISYS Computer CLK12BL2 12" DUAL COLD CATHODE KIT - OEM $7.99
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1265.98

Lets explain some things that I changed.

CPU - You read my previous posts, you know why I like it.

Motherboard - The CPU isn't overclockable, so there isn't a reason to get a Z97/Z87 motherboard. This is good for saving some money. And since Blue motherboards that look appealing are pretty hard to find, I went with an all black one. You can't go wrong with black.

RAM - Just slightly better quality RAM at a slightly cheaper price that keeps to the color scheme.

HDD - It's a bit cheaper but performs exactly the same. I own one myself, it's been running perfect for over a year now.

GPU - A 770 is barely weaker than a 280x in games, but it's CUDA performance is nice to have in Adobe Applications. At this bit you can actually choose which is more important to you, gaming or work, and you can swap between them depending on which you prefer.

PSU - It's an all black PSU with great build quality and should work nicely in the appearance of it. I own 2 EVGA PSUs and I recommend them entirely.

OS - Windows 8.1 or 7, they cost the same. Make your pick, I just put 8.1 cause it's newer.

Overall I love what you originally planned on doing with the build, I was actually planning on doing something very similar to the build above. The H60 with the 350D and such. But a different color scheme.

Thoughts? :D

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you!

I went with so many fans because I want to have good air flow, especially with a r9 280x in the case. My ideal color scheme would be yellow/black. Also fooling around with a red/yellow/black scheme.

Now to what you just put together... GPU- what do you mean I can swap depending on which I prefer? the 770 has 1GB less of Vram which seems like could make a big difference, right?. Also how are the temps on the Gigabyte 770? maybe I could spend less on fans.

Overall like what you have done since I havent really tried make a build with Nvidia

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

You're welcome!

And what I mean by swapping, is that the 280x and 770 cost about the same price, so you could choose whichever one you wish to purchase. They'll both work in the build.

And what resolution will you play at and what games? That will determine what you need. If you're playing 1080p on a single monitor, you won't surpass 2GB of VRAM in total usage for at least another generation in most games. And even then you can take down some filters to keep the VRAM usage lowered. VRAM amount alone will not change your performance. But, if you're spending 70% or more of your time on this PC playing games, then I recommend getting the 280x instead. It's better for this price range.

In terms of GPU temperatures, Nvidias cards run cooler due to the manufacturing processes their dyes go under when being made. So the 770 will be cooler if you put both cards on the same cooler. The Gigabyte Windforce cooler specifically sends most of the heat it dissipates out into the case, so good airflow is very important. It's a great cooler though.

Any other questions?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

okay that clears some things up. In terms of pc games being played, ive only played the Total War series. I have Rome2 just sitting around because it was unplayable. will be playing The Forest and maybe try out Dayz.

Going to try and play around with what you and the other guy did.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube