add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Mathematical processing

Flan
  • 72 months ago

This is NOT a gaming rig. I am a geneticist and I do a lot of baysian analyses that take up massive amounts of processing power. Usually, we can send our big projects over to the on-campus cluster. However, some jobs can take a week or more on my 2.4GHz i5 macbook pro so I want to build a machine that has minimal graphics and high processing power to reduce the wait time (I included a graphics card so as to not draw from the processor if I am multitasking during a run). I need a basic machine with a huge processor so I went with a 4.0GHz i7 unlocked because I will probably try to push it into the 4.6-4.9 range. But as you can see the rest of the system is pretty minimal. On-campus we mostly use WiFi, and I would like to have a bluetooth connection; is there a wifi/bluetooth card out there that is not outrageously expensive (continuous internet connection is not essential)? Let me know what you guys think about this parts list... This will be my first build, precipitated by the log run times of these MCMC chains in programs like MIGRATE and MrBayes on my current computers. Please, any general comments are welcome.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vnQ4Bm

Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core CPU Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Memory: 2x Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive + Western Digital 3TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, so I have a few questions. Does the program you use use a lot of memory? Does it utilize hyper threading? Even if it doesn't you would still benefit with more cores unless it only uses one. If you want to try something more expensive use a server processor. This one http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80635e52697v2 is a 12 core hyper threaded beast. You can get cheaper ones then that of course, that's just an extreme example. You could go with one of the 6 core hyper threaded ones as well which perform extremely well and would save you a lot of time.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on the program. But yes, many allow for multiple threads, and plenty of memory. This link didn't lead me anywhere, but the price should stay around $1500.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe like this?

Intel E3-1271 v3 3.6GHz 8MB L3 Cache 80W Server Processor BX80646E31271V3 ~$330

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube