add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I7-4770 - 3D/Rendering possibly gaming too - Opinions

expresurself
  • 72 months ago

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/expresurself/saved/cNPKHx

So the above is what I am proposing to build. I've recently switched over to an I7 after having a bit of a cash boost (was originally going to be a FX8350)

The GPU has already been purchased so that won't be changing now.

My main questions are:

1) Do I need the liquid CPU cooler?

2) How will the motherboard stand up with the rest of the parts?

3) I also have the option to buy this pre-overclocked bundle; (http://www.awd-it.co.uk/intel-i7-4770k-overclocked-4.2ghz-quad-core-asus-h81m-plus-motherboard-ddr3-hdmi-4k-bundle.html) is it worth getting? Don't really understand OC'ing and the point of it.

Thanking you all in advance.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

ok. So if you dont have a "k" chip, it means you can't overclock. If you can't or won't overclock, it means you don't need a cooler and the stock intel fan will do the job nicely. Motherboard is fine. Hard to say whether that bundle is worth it, if you don't overclock yourself, but you want more power or need it for rendering it's probably a good idea, although in that case you would need a water cooler. You'll have to figure that out for yourself.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ouchhh. You already bought the GPU? That will hurt your PC. Always buy a GPU that is way over the top compared to the Processor. (Make sure the GPU is more expensive than the processor.) I don't believe that processor can support overclocking (it's not a k), so you probably won't need liquid cooling, but make sure you have a lot of fans. The more, the better. That MOBO is like buying a used beat up car with a new mansion. Definitely upgrade it. Not the best at picking good MOBOs, but that MOBO may be a bit small. Try getting a larger one. When you try and upgrade the RAM, it will be a bit difficult with only 2 slots, and a max of 16 GB. Also you won't be exactly needing an i7 unless you really want one. But that is your choice.

Keep in mind I haven't built a PC yet, so don't take all this information to seriously.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube