add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Transferring Win7 to new HDD?

s-dawg
  • 72 months ago

So I have an old PC that was bought off the shelf in 2010. It came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Now, I'm refurbishing it, as it is slow and dusty. I am installing a new hard drive, hoping to start the computer fresh. I have about 1 Tb worth of files on the old hard drive, so i figured i should keep them just in case i need them later, rather than deleting them. I'm just wondering if I can transfer my copy of Win7 to the new hard drive.

Thanks

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes. Fresh install of the operating system would be best but if you're lazy, you can use one of the many third party cloning software.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, so it is possible to actually move windows 7 to the other hard drvie and boot from there?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

As Eschaton already pointed out, yes, provided transfer to the new HDD/SDD is done correctly.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

As long as you keep the same motherboard, yes.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube